Transportation and Air Quality
- I have invented a device/fuel additive for cars that will increase fuel economy and reduce emissions. Will EPA test it and certify it for me?
- Can EPA perform an emissions test for me or certify an independent laboratory for testing emissions?
What's New in OTAQ
OTAQ Recent Additions
- July 2: EPA updates the RFS program by finalizing additional fuel pathways and a Quality Assurance Plan.
- June 26: Answers to frequent questions concerning near roadway air pollution and what EPA is doing to address this important health concern.
- June 12: Ford updates fuel economy values for six vehicle models.
OTAQ Press Releases
- June 12, 2014: EPA Requires Ford to Correct Fuel Economy for Six Vehicle Models
- June 6, 2014: EPA Announces Funding for Tribes to Clean Up Diesel Engines
- May 27, 2014: EPA Reducing Air Pollution from Old Diesel Engines; Grant Provides $246,931 to Protect People from Harmful Air Pollution
OTAQ Federal Register Notices
- June 26, 2014: Information Collection Request Submitted to OMB for Review and Approval; Comment Request; Regulation of Fuels and Fuel Additives: Gasoline Volatility (Renewal)
- June 16, 2014: Regulation of Fuels and Fuel Additives: Extension of Compliance and Attest Engagement Reporting Deadlines for 2013 Renewable Fuel Standards
- May 28, 2014: California State Nonroad Engine Pollution Control Standards; Small Off-Road Engines Regulation; Request for Within-the-Scope and Full Authorization; Opportunity for Public Hearing and Comment
EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality protects public health and the environment by regulating air pollution from motor vehicles, engines, and the fuels used to operate them, and by encouraging travel choices that minimize emissions. These "mobile sources" include cars and light trucks, heavy trucks and buses, nonroad engines, equipment, and vehicles. For more information see:
- About the Office of Transportation and Air Quality (OTAQ)
- About the National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory (NVFEL)
OTAQ's top sites
OTAQ's programs and website topics (A detailed list of programs and topics is on our site map.)
Overview:Pollutants & Programs
Information on how much air pollution, air toxics, and greenhouse gases are emitted by mobile sources, the programs OTAQ has undertaken to control these emissions, and the impact of those programs on air quality and climate change.
On-Road Vehicles & Engines
Information about fuel economy, emission standards and regulations, emission recall, certification and compliance, inspection and maintenance, diesel retrofit, evaluating the benefits of inventions designed to reduce emissions, and importing vehicles and engines.
Nonroad Engines, Equipment
Information about nonroad engines, equipment and vehicles: emission standards and regulations, certification and compliance, and diesel retrofit programs.
- Diesel Boats & Ships
- Gasoline Boats & Personal Watercraft
- Nonroad Diesel Equipment
- Forklifts, Generators & Compressors
- Lawn & Garden
- Snowmobiles, Dirt Bikes, & ATVs
Fuels & Fuel Additives
State & Local Transportation
Modeling, Testing, & Research
Information on modeling and inventories for estimating emissions from highway vehicles, nonroad sources, and fuels; testing and measuring emissions; research into clean automotive technologies; and emission factors research.