Transportation and Air Quality
- What is the federally mandated warranty for emission controls on my car?
- Why is there ethanol in gasoline?
- Does the fuel used in fuel economy testing contain ethanol?
What's New in OTAQ
OTAQ Recent Additions
- October 8: EPA’s annual report shows model year 2013 car and truck fuel economy is at an all time record high.
- October 1: Mercedes updates fuel economy values for two C300 4-matic vehicles.
- September 30: The New Fuel Pathways website has been streamlined and now includes new tools and information resources intended to more efficiently provide the basic information requested by our stakeholders.
OTAQ Press Releases
- October 8, 2014: U.S. Fuel Economy Reaches All-Time High/Fuel economy gains for new vehicles continue under President Obama's Clean Car Program
- October 7, 2014: EPA Honors Freight Carriers for Superior Supply Chain Efficiency
- October 7, 2014: EPA Honors Alabama-based McElroy Truck Lines for Superior Supply Chain Efficiency
OTAQ Federal Register Notices
- October 7, 2014: Official Release of the MOVES2014 Motor Vehicle Emissions Model for SIPs and Transportation Conformity
- September 26, 2014: Agency Information Collection Activities; Proposed Collection; Comment Request; EPA's Light-Duty In-Use Vehicle Testing Program (Renewal)
- September 25, 2014: Information Collection Request Submitted to OMB for Review and Approval; Comment Request; Regulation of Fuels and Fuel Additives: Detergent Gasoline (Renewal)
EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality protects public health and the environment by regulating air pollution from motor vehicles, engines, and the fuels used to operate them, and by encouraging travel choices that minimize emissions. These "mobile sources" include cars and light trucks, heavy trucks and buses, nonroad engines, equipment, and vehicles. For more information see:
- About the Office of Transportation and Air Quality (OTAQ)
- About the National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory (NVFEL)
OTAQ's top sites
OTAQ's programs and website topics (A detailed list of programs and topics is on our site map.)
Overview:Pollutants & Programs
Information on how much air pollution, air toxics, and greenhouse gases are emitted by mobile sources, the programs OTAQ has undertaken to control these emissions, and the impact of those programs on air quality and climate change.
On-Road Vehicles & Engines
Information about fuel economy, emission standards and regulations, emission recall, certification and compliance, inspection and maintenance, diesel retrofit, evaluating the benefits of inventions designed to reduce emissions, and importing vehicles and engines.
Nonroad Engines, Equipment
Information about nonroad engines, equipment and vehicles: emission standards and regulations, certification and compliance, and diesel retrofit programs.
- Diesel Boats & Ships
- Gasoline Boats & Personal Watercraft
- Nonroad Diesel Equipment
- Forklifts, Generators & Compressors
- Lawn & Garden
- Snowmobiles, Dirt Bikes, & ATVs
Fuels & Fuel Additives
State & Local Transportation
Modeling, Testing, & Research
Information on modeling and inventories for estimating emissions from highway vehicles, nonroad sources, and fuels; testing and measuring emissions; research into clean automotive technologies; and emission factors research.