Cars and Light Trucks
Vehicle Standards and Regulations
Search for Documents
Search the Document Index System (DIS) database to find:
- Advisory Circulars
- Applications for Certification
- Certificates of Conformity
- Certificate Summary Information Reports
- Manufacturer Guidance Letters
- Verify System Documentation
This Web page provides links to standards and regulations for controlling air pollution from cars and light trucks.
Emission Standards Reference Guide contains federal emission standards (exhaust and evaporative) and implementation dates for light-duty vehicles and trucks as well as the gasoline sulfur standards.
Light-Duty Vehicle Greenhouse Gas Emissions Standards Program: a joint final rule with the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Safety Administration establishing a national program consisting of new standards for model year 2012 through 2016 light-duty vehicles that will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve fuel economy. EPA set greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions standards under the Clean Air Act and NHTSA set Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards under the Energy Policy and Conservation Act.
The Tier 2 Program sets the standards for tailpipe emissions for all passenger vehicles, including sport utility vehicles (SUVs, minivans, vans, and pick-up trucks, beginning in 2004. The Tier 2 Program also requires reduced levels of sulfur in gasoline.
The National Low Emission Vehicle Program is a voluntary program which demonstrates how cooperative, partnership efforts can produce a smarter, cheaper program that reduces regulatory burden while increasing protection of the environment and public health.
Test Procedures for Testing Highway and Nonroad Engines and Omnibus Technical Amendments
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
CAP 2000 (Compliance Assurance Program)
Emissions Durability Procedures for New Light-Duty Vehicles, Light-Duty Trucks, and Heavy-Duty Vehicles
- Fact Sheet: Final Rule for Emissions Durability Test Procedures (PDF) (2 pp, 33K, EPA420-F-05-061, December 2005)
- Final Rule (PDF) (34 pp, 575K, January 17, 2006)
Component Durability Procedures for New Light-Duty Vehicles, Light-Duty Trucks and Heavy-Duty Vehicles
- Fact Sheet: Supplemental Notice of Proposed Rulemaking for Component Durability Procedures for New Light-Duty Vehicles, Light-Duty Trucks and Heavy-Duty Vehicles (EPA420-F-05-062, December 2005)
- Proposed Rule (PDF) (13 pp, 77K, January 17, 2006)
On March 16, 2004, the EPA Administrator signed a proposed regulation that instructs automotive manufacturers how to conduct the durability procedures used to predict the useful life emissions of new vehicles. This rulemaking fulfills a court mandate issued on October 22, 2002, by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit that ordered EPA to issue new emissions durability regulations. The following documents relate to the durability proposed rulemaking.
- Fact Sheet: Proposed Rule for Emissions Durability Test Procedures (EPA420-F-04-013, January 2004)
- Preamble and Regulations (PDF) (38 pp, 592K, April 2, 2004)
CAP 2000 Final Rule was published in the Federal register on May 4, 1999.
- Fact Sheet: Compliance Assurance Program (CAP 2000) Final Rule (PDF) (3 pp, 13K, EPA420-F-99-005, March 1999)
- Final Rule (published May 4, 1999)
Notice: Control of Emissions From New Highway Vehicles and Engines: Approval of New Scheduled Maintenance for Selective Catalyst Reduction Technologies
- Federal Register Notice (PDF) (4 pp; 60K; November 9, 2009)
California State Motor Vehicle Pollution Control Standards; Waiver of Federal Preemption - Notice of Within the Scope Determination (Zero Emission Vehicle Requirement) (Signed January 18, 2001)
- Federal Register Notice (published January 25, 2001)
California State Motor Vehicle Pollution Control Standards; Waiver of Federal Preemption -- Notice of Waiver Decision and Within the Scope Determinations
- Federal Register Notice (published August 5, 1990)
3-Wheel Vehicles - Control of Air Pollution From Motor Vehicles and New Motor Vehicle Engines; Increase of the Vehicle Mass for 3-Wheeled Motorcycles
Extension of Interim Revised Durability Procedures for Light-Duty Vehicles and Light-Duty Trucks
- Final Rule (published August 22, 1997)
- Notice of Proposed Rule
- Removal of direct final rule amendments
10 Gallon Per Minute Fuel Dispenser Flow Rate Regulation
- Fact Sheet: THE EPA 10 GALLON PER MINUTE FUEL DISPENSING LIMIT (6K, TXT file, July 1996)
- Direct Final Rule
- Proposed Rule