Opportunities to save water, energy, and money are right around the corner. Improve your building's performance using best management practices, by reviewing case studies, or with additional information identified in resources prepared by WaterSense partners.
Case studies can be a valuable source of information for facility managers because they provide real-world examples of how to achieve water efficiency and clearly identify the costs and benefits associated with taking action.
Recorded webinars provide more information about saving water in all types of commercial and institutional buildings.
WaterSense's Commercial and Institutional Water Efficiency Webinar Training Series
WaterSense H2Otel Challenge
Assess, Track, and Realize Payback
Recorded March 6, 2014
Presented by Tara O'Hare, EPA; Holly Cannon, ERG; and Rob Morris, Caesars Entertainment
Washing 101: A Plumbing and Laundry Efficiency Primer
Recorded March 27, 2014
Presented by Stephanie Tanner, EPA; Kim Wagoner, ERG; and Brandon Leister, San Antonio Water System
Make a Splash With Outdoor Water Savings
Recorded April 17, 2014
Presented by Tara O'Hare, EPA; Holly Cannon, ERG; and Richard Restuccia, ValleyCrest Landscape Maintenance
Demonstrating WaterSense's WaterUSE Tool
Recorded May 29, 2014
Presented by Tara O'Hare, EPA; and Robbie Pickering, ERG
Minimize Water Use in Mechanical/HVAC Systems
Recorded June 12, 2014
Presented by Stephanie Tanner, EPA; Roy Sieber, ERG; and Randy Childers, Hyatt Regency Atlanta
Let's Talk About Education and Outreach
Recorded July 31, 2014
Presented by Tara O'Hare, EPA; Wesley Schultz, California State University, San Marcos; and Alec Bartolai, Kalaloch Lodge
What's Cooking: Commercial Kitchen Savings
Live Webinar Being Held on August 21, 2014
Overflowing Value: Best Practices to Save Water and Money
ENERGY STAR National Buildings Competition
Recorded November 7, 2012
Presented by Tara O'Hare and Alena Hutchinson, EPA
Water–Saving Strategies for Commercial Buildings
Recorded February 25, 2013
Presented by Holly Cannon, ERG
Federal Green Challenge Webinar: Reducing your Footprint
Recorded September 27, 2012
Presented by Tara O'Hare, EPA; and Kate McMordie Stoughton and Brian Boyd, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
In addition to those highlighted below, Section 9: Resources of WaterSense at Work offers a comprehensive list of resources on water efficiency and specific technologies.
- Alliance for Water Efficiency Resource Library
- Arizona Municipal Water Users Association and Black and Veatch, 2008. Facility Manager's Guide to Water Management
- East Bay Municipal Utility District, 2008. WaterSmart Guidebook: A Water-Use Efficiency Plan Review Guide for New Businesses
- Environmental Defense Fund Water Efficiency Toolkit
- North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources, 2009. Water Efficiency Manual for Commercial, Industrial and Institutional Facilities
- South Florida Water Management District, 2011. Water Efficiency Improvement Self-Assessment Guide for Commercial and Institutional Building Facility Managers
- Utility and pollution prevention programs may offer incentive programs, including subsidized auditing services, for facilities to make changes that improve water or energy efficiency. Contact your local utility or technical assistance program to learn more about opportunities in your area.
Federal agencies must adhere to specific requirements in Executive Order 13423 and 13514. Our federal agencies page includes guidance documents and resources developed by WaterSense and the U.S. Department of Energy's Federal Energy Management Program.
ENERGY STAR has developed many resources to assist commercial facilities reduce their energy use, some of which can also be used to address water use.