Smart Outdoor Practices
Did you know that of the estimated 29 billion gallons of water used daily by households in the United States, nearly 9 billion gallons is devoted to outdoor water use? The average U.S. household uses more water outdoors than most American homes use for showering and washing clothes combined.
By following some simple steps, you can have a water-smart landscape that's beautiful, healthy, and easy to maintain:
Your local water utility, landscaping and irrigation service providers, cooperative extension services, nurseries and garden centers can offer additional guidance that's best for your region. Also consider the following online resources to learn more about water-smart landscaping and water-saving technologies.
- Learn more about the concepts of water-smart landscape design (PDF) (14 pp, 13.9M, About PDF).
- Learn how Your Yard Can Be Greener (PDF) (4 pp, 615K, About PDF) with EPA's guide for water smart landscapes.
- See the Landscape for Life site for comprehensive information on creating a sustainable landscape.
- Visit the EPA GreenScapes website to learn what you can do to preserve natural resources while keeping your lawn and garden healthy.
- Visit the Alliance for Water Efficiency Resource Library for more information on landscape and irrigation water efficiency.