BIOPLUME II is a simulation that computes concentrations of dissolved hydrocarbon under the influence of oxygen-limited biodegradation in an aquifer. The model solves the solute transport equation for both hydrocarbon and oxygen, assumes an instantaneous reaction between oxygen and hydrocarbon, and combines the two plumes using the principle of superposition. Computations account for convection, dispersion, mixing, and biodegradation effects. Also, the program can simulate slow hydrocarbon plumes undergoing biodegradation and can simulate in situ biorestoration schemes such as the injection of oxygenated water. Moreover, the model can simulate re-aeration and anaerobic biodegradation as a first-order decay in hydrocarbon concentrations.
|Release Date||October 1989|
|Development Status||general release|
|Related Web Sites|
To run BIOPLUME II, you will need the following:
- IBM PC/AT or compatible
- DOS version 2.0 (or later)
- 640K of machine resident memory (RAM) – A minimum of 550K of RAM is necessary to load the model with the menu preprocessor. To check available RAM, type the command CHKDSK. If there is less memory available, the model (DRIVER.EXE) may still be loaded without the menu preprocessor. Please contact Rice University if you have any questions.
- 80287 (or faster) math co-processor chip
- Hard disk – It is possible to run the model using a high-density floppy drive if a hard disk is not available in your system.
Optional hardware includes:
- Graphics adapter (CGA, EGA, or Hercules) – The VIEW program and the View option in TOPO and SURF both require a graphics card (adapter). However, if your system does not have a graphics card, SURFER may still be used to generate graphics on a graphics printer or plotter (Golden Software, Inc., 1987).
- SURFER-supported graphics printer or plotter (see Appendix D of SURFER manual).
You will need unzipping (compression) software to uncompress ZIP files. If you need to load unzipping software on your computer, free software is available for download on the internet at the following sites:
US EPA. (1987) "BIOPLUME II, Computer Model of Two-Dimensional Contaminant Transport Under the Influence of Oxygen-Limited Biodegradation in Ground Water – User’s Manual, Version 1.0." Publication No. 600/8-88/093A.
- Refer to the BIOPLUME II user's manual for further instructions.
- Go to Windows Explorer and create a directory named BIOPLUMEII.
- Download the user's manual, installation program, and instructions to the new directory.
- In the new directory, double-click on the bioplume3.exe file. Click on the Extract button; this will unzip the files into the same directory.
- Review the user’s manual for instructions on running the model.
- Run the menu.exe file to start the model.
In order to run the programs, the following command must be included in the file CONFIG.SYS on your system disk: DEVICE = ANSI.SYS
Note: The file ANSI.SYS, included with the DOS package, must reside in the same directory as CONFIG.SYS. Otherwise, a pathname must be included in the file. Please refer to your DOS reference manual for details on this command.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page.
See EPA's PDF page to learn more.