Regulatory Flexibility Act (RFA) and Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act (SBREFA)
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
EPA has an ongoing commitment to minimize the burden of its regulations on small entities including agricultural entities to the extent feasible while still meeting its statutory requirements. The Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act (SBREFA) amended the Regulatory Flexibility Act (RFA) to further EPA's and other federal agencies' partnerships with small entities in their rulemakings. One of the important goals of the RFA, as amended by SBREFA, is to provide small entities with an expanded opportunity to participate in the development of certain regulations.
RFA/SBREFA and Related Documents
- Regulatory Flexibility Act/Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act (RFA/SBREFA) official homepage
- Regulatory Flexibility Act and Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act (RFA/SBREFA) statute
- RFA/SBREFA documents page
- Frequently Asked Questions
- EPA Rules with Completed RFA/SBREFA SBAR Panels
- Small Entity Compliance Guides (SECG)
- Reports to Congress
- RFA/SBREFA Fact Sheet: What Small Entities Should Know About EPA and the Small Business Regulatory Enforcement Fairness Act (July 2003) (PDF) (4 pp, 51K)
- RFA/SBREFA Fact Sheet: What Potential Small Entities Should Know About the Small Business Advocacy Review Panel Process (July 2003) (PDF) (4 pp, 46K)
- EPA Small Business Advocacy Chair Staff (202) 564-5480
Related publications from the Ag Center
Small Farm/Small Business Information
More information from states
National Association of State Departments of Agriculture (NASDA) - Representing the state departments of agriculture in the development, implementation, and communication of sound public policy and programs which support and promote the American agricultural industry, while protecting consumers and the environment.
EZregs - University of Illinois Extension Web site that identifies environmental regulations that pertain to specific agricultural and horticultural operations and practices in Illinois.
Compliance and enforcement
Small Business Compliance Policy (PDF) (18 pp, 43K)
EPA's Small Business Compliance Policy Factsheet (PDF) (3 pp, 75K)
Assistance from EPA
Small Business Ombudsman (SBO)