As part of an initiative to reduce pesticide risks and use, EPA and the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) are promoting sustainable agriculture and Integrated Pest Management (IPM) practices, including biological and cultural control systems. USDA supports research and education programs with the cooperation of State Agricultural Experiment Stations and State Cooperative Extension Service staff. The following is a list of sustainability topics related to agriculture.
Background information on biopesticides, StarLink Corn information, plant-incorporated protectant rules, registration, and other related links.
Information on basic principles of composting with links to additional information.
- Industry Sector Profiles (Sector Notebooks)
A series of profiles (called Sector Notebooks) containing information on selected major industries.
Integrated Pest Management
Alternatives to conventional pesticides and information on IPM programs.
- Organic Farming
Information available on organic food, organic production, and the National Organic Program.
Information on partnerships between EPA and the agricultural community:
- AgSTAR Program
- Animal Feeding Operation Inspection Webcast from the Livestock and Poultry Environmental Learning Center
- Delta FARM - Farmers Advocating Resource Management
- EPA Region 3 Agriculture Partnerships
- EPA Region 4 Agriculture Projects
- EPA Region 5 Agriculture Partnerships
- EPA Region 9 Agriculture Success Stories
- Farm, Ranch, and Rural Communities Federal Advisory Committee (FRRCC)
- Methane to Markets
- National Clean Diesel Campaign - Clean Ag USA
- National Milk Producers Federation - Information on SPCC plans for milk producers, including a tool for developing an SPCC plan
- Pesticide Partnerships
- Ruminant Livestock Efficiency Program
- SmartWaySM Transport Partnership
- Pesticide Environmental Stewardship Program
- Perdue Clean Waters Initiative
Pollution Prevention, Best Management Practices, and Conservation
Information on basic principles of pollution prevention and BMPs with links to more information.
Information available on sustainable development, sustainable agriculture, and other related links.
Information available on surface and groundwater protection.
Not quite what you're looking for? Please try the following agriculture contacts: