EPA's Power Sector Modeling Platform v.5.13
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's About PDF page to learn more about PDF, and a link to the free Adobe Acrobat Reader.
November 27, 2013 - EPA is making available the latest power sector modeling platform, associated data assumptions, and file documentation. For questions or other inquiries regarding v.5.13, please contact us using our on-line form.
- Documentation for v.5.13
- National Electric Energy Data System (NEEDS) v.5.13
- Results Using EPA's Base Case v.5.13
Documentation for v.5.13
To learn more about v.5.13 assumptions, updates, changes, and enhancements, see the links below. These files are available as one document (PDF 7.63 MB) , however, this file does not include the additional attachments and tables. Those will still need to be downloaded separately.
- Table of Contents (PDF 342 KB)
- Chapter 1: Introduction (PDF 307 KB)
- Chapter 4: Generating Resources (PDF 1.75 MB)
- Table 4-20: Representative Wind Generation Profiles (Excel 416 MB)
- Table 4-28: Representative Solar Generation Profiles (Excel 125 MB)
- Table 4-35: Capacity Not Included (Excel 122 KB)
- Chapter 5: Emission Control Technologies (PDF 918 KB)
- Table 5-20: Upgrade Provided to Existing Units without Fabric Filters (Excel 91 KB)
- Table 5-22: Cost of Building Pipelines to Coal Plants (Excel 91 KB)
- Table 5-23: Coal Steam Units with Natural Gas Co-firing Option (Excel 29 KB)
- Attachment 5-1: Wet FGD Cost Methodology (PDF 415 KB)
- Attachment 5-2: SDA FGD Cost Methodology (PDF 389 KB)
- Attachment 5-3: SCR Cost Methodology (PDF 403 KB)
- Attachment 5-4: SNCR Cost Methodology (PDF 646 KB)
- Attachment 5-5: DSI Cost Methodology (PDF 428 KB)
- Attachment 5-6: Hg Cost Methodology (PDF 506 KB)
- Attachment 5-7: PM Cost Methodology (PDF 256 MB)
- Chapter 6: Carbon Capture, Transport and Storage (PDF 135 KB)
- Chapter 7: Set-Up Parameters and Rules (PDF 161 KB)
- Chapter 8: Financial Assumptions (PDF 160 KB)
- Chapter 9: Coal (PDF 1.31 MB)
- Chapter 10: Natural Gas (PDF 1.16 MB)
- Chapter 11: Other Fuels and Fuel Emission Factors (PDF 193 KB)
- Table 11-2: Biomass Supply Curves (Excel 925 KB)
- Appendix: HRI (PDF 42 MB)
National Electric Energy Data System (NEEDS) v.5.13
The National Electric Energy Data System or “NEEDS” database contains the generation unit records used to construct the "model" plants that represent existing and planned/committed units in EPA modeling applications of IPM. NEEDS includes basic geographic, operating, air emissions, and other data on these generating units. NEEDS was completely updated for EPA's new power sector modeling platform v.5.13. For a description of the sources used in preparing NEEDS v.5.13, see Documentation, Chapter 4: Generating Resources.
The Updates file documenting EPA and stakeholder intereaction on NEEDS v.5.13 is also included below.
- Download the NEEDS v.5.13 database (Excel, 4.03 MB)
- NEEDS User's Guide (PDF 256 KB)
- Updates to NEEDS v.5.13 based on External Engagement (PDF 79 KB)
Results Using EPA's Base Case v.5.13
- Detailed IPM output files (i.e. Overview, System Summary Report, .DAT, .RPE, .RPT files, Gas Report, State Level Emissions Summary, Parsed File, Flat File). (ZIP 110 MB) .
- Guide to the content of the IPM input and output files (PDF 224 KB) .
- Guide to the content of the parsed files (PDF 90 KB) .
- Air Quality Modeling Flat File Documentation (PDF 549 KB)
- Flat File Inputs (Excel 3.19 MB)
Documentation of the Retail Price Model
The Retail Price Model (RPM) provides a first-order estimate of average retail electricity prices using information from the EPA Base Case v5.13 Base Case or other scenarios analyzed for the period 2016 to 2050 for each of the 64 IPM model regions.