PM Advance Program
PM Advance resources
on this page
PM Advance Materials
- PM Advance Memo and Guidance January 17, 2013 (PDF) (40pp, 2.4MB) - Memo and detailed program information, including goals, program description and eligibility.
- PM Advance Sign Up Letter (Word Doc) (2pp, 24k) - Sample letter that areas can use to indicate their interest in joining PM Advance.
- Health Effects of PM (PDF) (1pg, 11k)
- EPA Emission Inventories - A clearinghouse for emission inventories and factors.
- EPA Burn Wise Program - Provides information to assist air agencies and the public in reducing particle pollution from residential wood smoke.
- EPA State and Local Transportation Resources - Provides useful information, tools, and links to resources that identify emission reduction strategies and other types of assistance to help states and local areas achieve their air quality and transportation objectives.
- National Clean Diesel Campaign - Promotes clean air strategies by working with manufacturers, fleet operators, air quality professionals, environmental and community organizations, and state and local officials to reduce diesel emissions.
- EPA's Tribal Air Program Resources - Provides technical assistance and program support to build tribal capacity.
- Dept of Energy's Clean Cities Initiative - Advances the nation's economic, environmental, and energy security by supporting local actions to reduce petroleum consumption in transportation. A national network of nearly 100 Clean Cities coalitions brings together stakeholders in the public and private sectors to deploy alternative and renewable fuels, idle-reduction measures, fuel economy improvements, and emerging transportation technologies.
- Asthma Triggers - Information about outdoor air pollution and asthma.
- Identifying Environmental Risks in Asthma
- EPA's air research provides critical science to develop and implement outdoor air regulations under the Clean Air Act and provides information for the air quality managers and regulators to protect the air we breathe.
- Plan EJ 2014 is a roadmap that will help EPA integrate environmental justice into the Agency's programs, policies, and activities.
Grant and Funding Opportunities
- Grants.gov - Source to find and apply for federal grants
- EPA Transportation Grants and Funding - Provides links to federal funding sources available to state and local agencies for projects relating to transportation and air quality. Funding sources both within and outside EPA are included.
- Recovery Act - American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA): Tribal Transit Program
- Grants for diesel emissions reduction activities (DERA)
Documents and Media
- Emissions Inventory Development Resources, Calendar year 2012 (PDF) (4pp, 104k) - Provides a clearinghouse for inventories and emission factors, emission assessment and estimation procedures, emissions data and projections
- Menu of Control Measures: listing of potential emissions reduction measures for direct PM2.5 and precursors of ozone and PM2.5 (PDF) (66pp, 1MB) - April 12,2012
- Strategies for Reducing Residential Wood Smoke (PDF) (45pp, 593k) - March 12, 2013
- Guide to Using State SEPs to Implement Wood Stove Changeouts (PDF) (24pp, 100k)
- Wood Smoke Control Measures [Coming Soon]
- Outreach publications
- Burn Wise Tip Sheet (PDF) (1pg, 67k)
- Burn Wise Tip Sheet in Spanish (PDF) (1pg, 49k)
- Wet Wood is a Waste Brochure (PDF) (2pp, 881k)
- Video Public Service Announcements (PSAs)
Energy Efficiency / Renewable Energy
- Energy Efficiency, Renewable Energy and Combined Heat and Power Policies and Programs (PDF) (4pp, 581k) - October 2012
- Roadmap for Incorporating Energy Efficiency/Renewable Energy Policies and Programs Into State Implementation Plans/Tribal Implementation Plans
- A Toolkit for States: Using Supplemental Environmental Projects (SEPs) to Promote Energy Efficiency (EE) and Renewable Energy (RE) (PDF) (66pp, 1.8 MB) - Jan. 27, 2005
SIP Credit and Air Quality Planning
- Presentation Materials on SIP Basics (PDF) (17 pp, 1.2MB) - March 2013
- Guidance on Incorporating Bundled Measures in a State Implementation Plan (PDF) (55pp, 3.5 MB) - Aug. 16, 2005
- Guidance on SIP Credits for Emission Reductions from Electric Sector Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Measures (PDF) (39pp, 830k) - Aug. 5, 2004
- Improving Air Quality with Economic Incentive Programs, EPA-452/R-01-001 (PDF) (276pp, 641k) - Jan. 2001
- Incorporating Emerging and Voluntary Measures in a State Implementation Plan (SIP) (PDF) (30pp, 63k) - Sept. 2004
- Incorporating Voluntary Stationary Source Emission Reduction Programs Into SIPs (PDF) (30pp, 63k) - Final Policy, Jan. 19, 2001
Transportation / Mobile
- Policy and Guidance Documents to Assist Areas in Developing Strategies to Reduce Emissions from On-road and Non-road Sources
- Clean Diesel Publications
- Guidance on Airport Emission Reduction Credits for Early Measures Through Voluntary Airport Low Emission Programs (PDF) (45pp, 312k) - Sept. 30, 2004
- Voluntary Airport Low Emission Program - Technical Report, Version 7 (PDF) (164pp, 1.9 MB) - Dec 2, 2012 (revised)
- Transportation Control Measures - An Information Document for Developing and Implementing Emission Reduction Programs (PDF) (42pp, 6.3MB) - March 2011
- Potential Changes in Emissions Due to Improvements in Travel Efficiency (PDF) (84pp, 2.5MB) - March 2011
- Analyzing Emission Reductions from Travel Efficiency Strategies: A Guide to the TEAM Approach (PDF) (46pp, 1.6MB) - September 2011
April 11, 2013 - School Flag Program: Resources and Strategies for Reaching out to Schools. EPA and the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ) are presenting a joint webinar on the School Flag Program. Over 180 schools participate in the ADEQ school flag program. The webinar will provide a quick overview of the school flag program, discuss ADEQ’s experience, and what resources EPA has available, including some recently updated guidance for schools. The primary audience for this webinar is State, Tribal and local air agency representatives interested in starting and/or expanding a school flag program. For more information on the EPA’s school flag program, please visit www.airnow.gov/schoolflag. For more information on Arizona’s School Flag Program, please visit http://www.azdeq.gov/ceh/flag.html.
December 19, 2012 - Final 2012 PM NAAQS
November 29, 2012 - PM Advance
This webinar provides an overview of the draft PM Advance guidance as it stood in Novebmer 2012, prior to program rollout. The webinar also describes how areas might benefit from participating, and how timing of PM Advance would relate to the timing of designations for any revised 2012 PM2.5 NAAQS.
The primary audience for this webinar is state, tribal and local air agencies that were reviewing the draft guidance in November 2012.
October 25, 2012 - Clean Energy Emission Reduction Opportunities and Resources for Ozone Advance Areas
This webinar provides an overview of types of clean energy policies and programs Advance Program areas can consider as part of their "path forward." The webinar describes steps for getting started, successful examples and EPA resources available to assess clean energy programs and their emission reduction potential.
While the primary audience for this webinar was state, tribal and local air agencies participating in the Ozone Advance program, the presentation is equally applicable to PM Advance participants/prospective participants.
- Presentation Materials (PDF) (58pp, 1.8 MB)
- [Recording will be posted soon]
September 27, 2012 - Reducing Emissions from Mobile Sources in Ozone Advance Areas - originally recorded for Ozone Advance participants, but also relevant to PM Advance areas.
September 19, 2012 - The School Flag Program: Protecting Students' Health Through Air Quality Awareness
August 27, 2012 - Incorporating Energy Efficiency / Renewable Energy Policies and Programs Into State Implementation Plans
- Webinar Recording
- EE/RE roadmap manual (PDF) (28pp, 256 KB)
- EE/RE quantification tools (PDF) (23pp, 676 KB)
July 28, 2011 - PM Health Effects from Wood Smoke