Sulfur Dioxide Designations
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
This page contains a list of regulatory actions and correspondence related to the 2010 primary SO2 standard.
EPA Reopens Public Comment Period on Intended Nonattainment Designations
March 19, 2013 – Public comment on EPA’s intended nonattainment designations for the 2010 primary SO2 standard will now be accepted through April 8, 2013.
- Federal Register Notice (PDF) (3pp, 209k) - Federal Register - March 25, 2013
Recommendations for Areas to be Designated “Nonattainment” for the 2010 National Air Quality Standard for Sulfur Dioxide
February 7, 2013 – In response to recommendations from state and tribal representatives, EPA has sent letters to state and tribal leaders outlining the areas it is considering designating as “nonattainment” for the 2010 primary standard for sulfur dioxide.
- Read Correspondence Between EPA and State and Tribal Representatives
- Map of Preliminary Nonattainment Areas for the 2010 Sulfur Dioxide Standard
- Map of Preliminary Nonattainment Areas for the 2010 Sulfur Dioxide Standard (PDF) (1pg, 386k)
- Table Comparing State Recommendations and EPA Responses (PDF) (1pg, 64k)
- EPA's strategy on Next Steps for Area Designations and Implementation of the SO2 Standard
- Notice of Availability and Public Comment Period (PDF) (3pp, 225k) - Federal Register - Feb 15, 2013
EPA Extends Date of Designations for 2010 Primary SO2 Standard
July 27, 2012 EPA is extending the deadline for area designations for the 2010 primary SO2 standard by up to 1 year due to having insufficient information to make initial area designations at this time. With this extension, EPA is required to complete initial designations by June 3, 2013.
- Federal Register Notice (PDF) (4pp, 223 KB) - Federal Register - August 3, 2012
- Fact Sheet (PDF) (1pg, 39 KB)