Success Stories & Ongoing Projects
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
How do I...?
- Baltimore, MD: Map of Brownfields and Urban Agriculture-Related Locations (PDF) (1 pg, 994K)
This map was prepared by staff of the Center for a Livable Future at the Johns Hopkins University, Bloomsberg School of Public Health as part of a presentation at Brownfields 2011. Brownfields site data used in this map can be found on the website for the State of Maryland Department of the Environment's Land Restoration Program .
- Bellows Falls, VT: Learn about a community cleanup turning a brownfield at the foot of a historic bridge into the Waypoint Visitor’s center that now also hosts the Bellows Falls farmer's market at:
- Bridgeport, CT: Groundwork Bridgeport – Urban Lot Regeneration
- Denver, CO: Groundwork Denver – Transforming Brownfields
- Glens Falls, NY: Farmers Market
- Lawrence, MA: Groundwork Lawrence – Community Gardens
- Lynchburg, VA: Lynchburg Grows: Historic rose greenhouses assessed and cleaned with the help of the City and State to recreate a community growing center.
- New Britain, CT: Learn about a brownfield and abandoned greenhouses restored to growing and selling healthy local food at:
- Philadelphia, PA: An urban agriculture pioneer on contaminated sites, Mary Seton Corboy tells her tale on the Urban Agriculture Notes website.
Learn more about Greensgrow Farm on the Greensgrow Farm website.
- Portland, OR: Groundwork Portland – Emerson Street Garden
- Sacramento, CA: A community garden cautionary tale and example of how brownfields resources create safe growing spaces at:
- Saginaw, MI: Learn about two brownfield reuses that can improve public health – a health facility and farmers market for healthy food at:
- Shelton, CT: Learn about innovative efforts to clean and reuse property safely and creating a farmers market in How Does Your Garden Grow? Brownfields Redevelopment and Local Agriculture (PDF) (4 pp, 1.3M)
- Somerville, MA:
- Allen Street Community Garden website and How Does Your Garden Grow? Brownfields Redevelopment and Local Agriculture (PDF) (4 pp, 1.3) highlight the process to turn a brownfield into a community garden in Somerville, Massachusetts.
- Groundwork Somerville – School Yard Gardens