Other Information Sources
The following are additional resources and web sites that address wood-burning. They include sites from the EPA, state and local agencies, and partner organizations. For a list of documents, brochures and studies regarding wood-burning, visit the publications page.
- Resources for Choosing a Wood Heating Appliance
- Installation and Maintenance Resources
- Health Resources
- Resources for State, Tribal and Local Agencies
- Webinar and Workshop Presentations
- Air Quality Tools
Resources for Choosing a Wood Heating Appliance
- Hearth, Patio and Barbecue Association (HPBA) - Association Web site for outdoor wood heaters, wood stoves and other related industries
- HPBA's Responsible Wood-burning Fact Sheets - Responsible wood burning will provide efficient and economical home heating - as well as reduce your home energy costs and protect your neighborhood air quality.
- Alliance for Green Heat - Provides information on choosing appliances and federal and state policies.
- Wise Heat - Provides alternative heating reviews and information.
- Hearth.com - A comprehensive website that will help you find most any hearth product you are looking for and/or address any of your hearth questions.
- How much heat does that room need? - Allows consumers to estimate the amount of BTUs required to heat a room by entering in the room’s dimensions.
- Fuel Efficiency Calculator - An on-line calculator that provides a cost comparison between different fuel types including hardwoods, softwoods, gas, oil, and electric.
Installation and Maintenance Resources
- National Fireplace Institute - An independent, non-profit certification agency that provides certification for proper installation of hearth products.
- Chimney Safety Institute of America - A non-profit, educational organization dedicated to chimney and venting system safety.
- American Lung Association’s Wood-burning Web Site - This site provides information on air pollution, health effects, and alternatives to wood-burning.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Asthma Website - Provides information on asthma triggers, treatment and management.
- EPA's AIRNow - Provides the air quality forecast for your area.
- EPA's Asthma Website - Shares information about environmental factors found indoors and outdoors that trigger asthma.
- EPA's Particle Pollution Web Site - Basic information about particle pollution, as well as regulatory actions, trends and research.
- NoAttacks.org - Provides simple information on asthma triggers.
- The Inside Story: A Guide to Indoor Air Quality - Includes a discussion of health effects from wood smoke and ways to reduce exposure.
- Particle Pollution and Your Health - This document characterizes particle pollution and how it can impact human health and the environment.
Resources for State, Tribal and Local Agencies
- DOE's Energy Savers, Wood and Pellet Heating - Provides information on wood and pellet heating.
- DOE's Tribal Energy Program - provides financial and technical assistance to tribes to evaluate and develop their renewable energy resources and reduce their energy consumption through efficiency and weatherization.
- EPA' Backyard Burning Website - Website developed to discourage the practice of backyard burning.
- EPA's Indoor Air Quality - provides resources and information on how to protect the air in your home, school or building.
- EPA's Indoor Air Quality Tribal Partners Program - Provides information on how tribal communities can improve indoor air quality and examples of how other tribes have created sustainable community outreach and education programs.
- EPA's Tribal Air Website - Provides access to key information; promotes the exchange of ideas; and makes available relevant documents to all environmental professionals who live and work in Indian country.
- EPA's Wood Heater Compliance Program - Promotes compliance with the requirements of EPA's wood heater regulation.
- European Wood-Heating Technology Survey - An Overview of Combustion Principles and the Energy and Emissions Performance of Commercially Available Systems in Austria, Germany, Denmark, Norway, and Sweden.
- Examples of Hydronic Heater Codes - Provides samples of local codes for municipalities, including information like setback restrictions, stack locations, and restrictions on types of fuel.
- It All Adds Up Initiative - A public education and partnership-building initiative developed by several federal agencies for the purpose of informing the public about the impact of their choices on air quality.
- Northeast States for Coordinated Air Use Management (NESCAUM) - A nonprofit association providing scientific, technical, analytical, and policy support to the air quality programs of the eight Northeast states (CT, ME, MA, NH, NJ, NY, RI, and VT).
- NESCAUM Model Rule - model rule that state and local agencies can use to regulate hydronic heater emissions.
- NW Tribal Healthy Homes Workgroup - A tribally-led group that works to support healthy, affordable and sustainable tribal housing.
- The Partnership for Clean Indoor Air - provides resources and expertise to improve health, livelihood, and quality of life by reducing exposure to indoor air pollution in developing countries.
- PM2.5 Nonattainment Designations - Provides background and information of PM2.5 designations for the United States.
- Steel Recycling Institute - Use this link to locate local steel recyclers who could participate in your changeout campaign by recycling old wood stoves.
- Washington State Department of Ecology - provides information about residential burning requirements in the state of Washington.
- Western States Air Resources Council (WESTAR) - Comprised of fifteen northwestern states to discuss western regional air quality issues of common concern and share resources for the common benefit of the member states.
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources' Model Ordinance - contains suggestions and options for local governments to regulate open burning at the local level.
Webinar and Workshop Presentations
- Draft Proposed Rule – NSPS for New Residential Wood Heaters- Webinar on February 9, 2012
To register, visit https://www1.gotomeeting.com/register/619081801
- PM Health Effects from Wood Smoke - Webinar presented on July, 28, 2011 - Dr. C Arden Pope III, Brigham Young University
- State Implementation Plans: Residential Wood Smoke video (WMV) (40:55, 139.8mb)
Training video module for state, local and tribal governments to learn more about EPA's residential wood smoke program
The following presentations were given at the EPA/WESTAR Residential Wood Smoke Workshop on March 1-3, 2011, in Salt Lake City, UT.
- Health Effects of Particulate Matter (PDF) (86pp, 109mb)
- National Ambient Air Quality Standards for Particulate Matter (PDF) (15pp, 132k)
- Implementation Issues for the 2006 24-hour PM Standard (PDF) (23pp, 1.6mb)
- Sacramento Metropolitan Air Quality District Wood Smoke Program (PDF) (24pp, 530k)
- Residential Wood Heaters NSPS Current Draft Revisions (PDF) (25pp, 76k)
- Indoor Air Quality
- Wood Stoves
- Oregon's Heat Smart Program (PDF) (10pp, 342k)
- Fairbanks, Alaska, Air Quality Improvement Program (PDF) (9pp, 1.9mb)
- Puget Sound Wood Smoke Programs: Regulatory and Voluntary (PDF) (19pp, 304k)
- Nez Perce Tribe Wood Stove Study and Changeout (PDF) (9pp, 261k)
- Wood Stove Changeout Program, Libby, Montana (PDF) (20pp, 1.2mb)
- Hydronic Heaters
- Hydronic Heater Program Overview (PDF) (19pp, 1.1mb)
- Vermont's Outdoor Wood-fired Boiler Change-out Program (PDF) (13pp, 355k)
- Outdoor Wood Boilers in Maine (PDF) (14pp, 512k)
- Outdoor Wood Boilers in Minnesota (PDF) (30pp, 1.6mb)
- EPA's Burn Wise Program (PDF) (36pp, 3.4mb)
- Puget Sound Wood Smoke Behavior Change Campaigns (PDF) (25pp, 784k)
- Wood Moisture Discussion
- Wood Combustion Basics (PDF) (36pp, 669k)
Air Quality Tools
- AirData - Provides air pollution data from ambient monitoring and the National Emission Inventory.
- National Emissions Inventory - EPA estimates wood-burning emissions at the county level as part of the National Emissions Inventory (NEI).
- EPA's Wood Stove and Fireplace Emission Calculator (October 2009) (Microsoft Excel) (419k, Excel Viewer) - This calculator can be used to estimate emissions reduced by wood stove and fireplace changeouts. Directions on how to use the calculator are embedded within the calculator, along with documentation for assumptions of burnrates and emission factors.
- Control Efficiency and Cost Effectiveness of Certain Residential Wood Combustion Control Measures (January 2013) (Microsoft Excel) (36k) - This table provides control efficiency and cost effectiveness estimates for various residential wood smoke control measures. It also includes the variables and assumptions used to developed the estimates.