Careers and Internships
Welcome to EPA!
Information for New Employees
Congratulations on being selected to join the EPA team! Whether you are entering the federal government for the first time, returning after a break in service, or transferring from another federal agency, this employee orientation will help you by providing essential information you will need to begin working at the EPA.
What You Need to do Before You Start
Complete the forms to set up your personnel record, establish benefits and generate payroll information online.
- Check your offer letter for your appointment type.
- Find the set of forms below that applies to you. Each set of forms links to electronic versions of all the forms you will need to complete.
- Fill out the forms, print them, and bring them with you when you report to work. We recommend that you copy all of your completed forms to keep for your own personal files.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Forms That You Will Need to Bring
- Career Appointment Forms (PDF) (3 pp., 111KB)
- Career-Conditional Appointment Forms (PDF) (3 pp., 181KB)
- Career-Reinstatement Appointment Forms (PDF) (3 pp., 186KB)
- Career-Transfer Appointment Forms (PDF) (3 pp., 172KB)
- Excepted Service Appointment Forms (PDF) (3 pp., 250KB)
- Temporary Appointment Forms (PDF) (3 pp., 179KB)
- Term Appointment Forms (PDF) (3 pp., 321KB)
It's critical that you verify your identity/citizenship. Complete Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, which is included in each set of forms above. Failure to provide proof of citizenship during the pre-employment clearance process will result in a delay in your appointment.
Section 2 of Form I-9 has to be completed by EPA personnel on your first day. To complete Section 2, we will need you to bring either:
- one document from Form I-9, List A, or
- one document from From I-9, List B AND one document from From I-9, List C.
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service links:
- List A Documents (Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization)
- List B Documents (Documents that Establish Identity)
- List C Documents (Documents that Establish Employment Authorization)
Page 5 of Form I-9 also includes an explanation of List A, B and C documents.
On Your First Day
When and where do I go? You should report to the visitors lobby at your location no later than 8:30 a.m. Your offer letter may include additional instructions. You will be greeted by a Human Resources Representative and escorted to orientation for new employees. At orientation, we'll provide you an introduction to EPA and information about employee benefits.
What should I bring? You should bring:
- Your job offer letter;
- Documentation to show your identity and authorization to work (that is, either a List A document or a List B document AND a List C document); and
- Form I-9 and all the other forms on the set of forms that applies to you.
We extend a warm welcome and wish you a satisfying and rewarding career with EPA!
Welcome to the EPA!
Congratulations! EPA is a great place to work. Learn about our accomplishments, and view a brief introduction of how we work (7:32 run time).