The Climate Leaders Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Inventory Guidance is based on an existing protocol developed by the World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD). The WRI/WBCSD GHG Protocol was developed through a collaborative process involving representatives from industry, government, and nongovernmental organizations. The Climate Leaders GHG Inventory Guidance is a modification of the WRI/WBCSD GHG Protocol that fits the needs of Climate Leaders more precisely.
Climate Leaders Partners developed their GHG emissions inventory using the Climate Leaders GHG Inventory Guidance and were required to document emissions of the six major GHGs (CO2, CH4, N2O, HFCs, PFCs, and SF6) on a company-wide basis (including at least all domestic facilities) associated with:
- Onsite fuel consumption and energy use
- Industrial process-related emissions (as applicable)
- Onsite waste disposal
- Onsite air conditioning/refrigeration use
- Indirect emissions from electricity/steam purchases
- Mobile sources
The Inventory Guidance consists of the following components:
- Design Principles Guidance contains information on defining inventory boundaries, identifying GHG emission sources, defining and adjusting a base year, determining the minimum level of data to be reported, and more.
- Cross-Sector Core Modules Guidance includes direct sources and indirect emissions from electricity purchased by the reporting entity.
- Sector-Specific Core Modules Guidance pertains to process emissions for specific industry sectors.
- Optional Modules Guidance provides GHG accounting guidance and reporting forms pertaining to other indirect emissions sources that the Partner may wish to include in the inventory.