Compliance and Enforcement Annual Results FY2008:
FY2008 Annual Results Topics
To promote compliance, improve understanding and encourage innovative approaches, EPA relies on compliance assistance and compliance incentive activities. These activities are often part of a larger integrated strategy that uses many of the tools available to the compliance assurance program.
Compliance assistance is defined by EPA to include activities, tools or technical assistance which provide clear and consistent information to help the regulated community understand and meet its obligations under environmental laws and regulations, and to aid other assistance providers in the development and delivery of compliance assistance tools. Compliance assistance is often provided to help educate businesses and governments about new environment requirements that apply to them; it is also provided for existing requirements to help address wide-spread areas of non-compliance, or misunderstandings within a sector about how to comply.
EPA strategically targets where regulated entities are having difficulty understanding regulatory requirements, and works to provide educational materials and opportunities that will:
- increase the regulated entities' understanding of their environmental responsibilities
- improve environmental management practices of the regulated entities and
- help them reduce, treat or eliminate pollution from their operations.
The Fiscal Year 2008 Compliance Highlights include the following categories:
Air Compliance Highlights
Water Compliance Highlights
- Texas Association of Builders Partner with Environmental Agencies
- Rhode Island Sanitary Sewer Overflow Integrated Strategy
- New England Marina Initiative
- Stormwater and Wetland Regulation Workshops
- Water Testing Preparedness Exercise With Labs in Iowa, Kansas, Missouri and Nebraska
Land Compliance Highlights
- Compliance Assistance Provided to Indian Country Schools in Region 8
- Plymouth State University Chemical Clean-out
Cross-Media Compliance Highlights
- New England Heathcare Initiative
- New England Emergency Response Initiative
- Lab and Tank Compliance Assistance Training for Federal Facilities