Flame Retardant Alternatives for HBCD Partnership - Milestones
|Milestones - Past and Projected||Completion/Projected
|Partnership kickoff meeting||Completed April 5, 2011|
|Finalize Project Scope (PDF) (1pg, 12K, About PDF)||Completed April 2011|
|Finalize the identification of alternative flame retardants (PDF) (1pg, 14K, About PDF)||Completed May 2011|
|Posted draft report "Draft Flame Retardant Alternatives for Hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) (PDF)" (199pp, 2.31MB) for public review and comment||September 2013|
|Posted final report "Flame Retardant Alternatives for Hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) (PDF)" (230pp, 1.76MB)||June 2014|
What's New with DfE?
- Final DfE Alternatives Assessment for Hexabromocyclododecane (HBCD) (PDF) (230pp, 1.76MB) that evaluates and compares potential hazards associated with HBCD and three alternatives. Read more.
- Draft update of a previous alternative assessment on flame retardants used in flexible polyurethane foam (PDF) (840pp, 8.05MB), which will be available for public review and comment until August 11, 2014. Please submit comments to Docket No. EPA-HQ-2014-0389 via www.regulations.gov. Read more.
- Q. & A. Consumer Fact Sheet on Flame Retardants
January 29, 2014 - EPA, through DfE, issued:
- Final Flame Retardant Alternatives Assessment for Decabromodiphenyl Ether (DecaBDE) (PDF) (901pp, 10.84MB) that evaluates and compares potential hazards associated with decaBDE and 29 alternatives. Read more.
- Final Alternatives Assessment for Bisphenol A (BPA) in Thermal Paper (PDF) (519pp, 3.72MB)that evaluates and compares potential hazards associated with BPA in thermal paper and 19 alternatives. Read more.
January 23, 2014 -- EPA updated DfE’s Safer Chemical Ingredients List (SCIL), adding 50 chemicals – bringing the number of safer fragrance chemicals to 150 and the total number of safer chemicals to nearly 650.