National Clean Diesel Campaign (NCDC)
DERA Rebate Program
- DERA Grants
- DERA Rebates
- DERA State Funding
- DERA Projects
- Funding Sources
2012 School Bus Replacement Rebate Program
In January 2011, the Diesel Emission Reduction Act (DERA) was reauthorized through fiscal year 2016. A significant change in the reauthorization provided EPA with the authority to award rebates.
The 2012 School Bus Replacement Rebate Program provides incentives for eligible applicants to replace older school buses with newer buses powered by certified 2012 or newer engines. For complete program information, see:
- Program Guide (PDF) (19 pp, 1.12MB, EPA-420-R-12-029, November 2012, About PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) (PDF) (14 pp; 200K; December 7, 2012, About PDF)
- Webinar Presentation Slides (PDF) (24 pp, 100K, November 2012, About PDF)
Over 1000 school bus fleets applied to EPA's Rebate Program, requesting over $70 million in funding. All applicants were given unique identification numbers and using these, applicants were randomly selected and placed in order on a list.
Starting at the top of the list, funds were reserved for applicants until all $2 million allocated to the program was reserved. The results are shown below. The remainder of the list became the Applicant Wait List (PDF) (20 pp, 346K, January 2013, About PDF).
|1||Davie County Board of Education||NC|
|3||Sandy Valley Local School District||OH|
|4||Mechanicsburg Exempted Village School District||OH|
|5||Mount Ayr Community School||IA|
|6||Genesee Intermediate School District||MI|
|7||South Sanpete School District||UT|
|8||Champaign County Head Start||IL|
|9||Hoopeston Area Schools CUSD #11||IL|
|10||East Muskingum Local Schools||OH|
|11||Stark County Board of Developmental Disabilities||OH|
|12||Weld Re-9 Highland Schools||CO|
|13||Old Bridge Township Board of Education||NJ|
|14||Dousman Transport Co., Inc.||WI|
|15||Pangburn School District||AR|
|16||East Allen Schools||IN|
|17||Averill Park Central School District||NY|
|18||USD 252 Southern Lyon County||KS|
|19||Nestucca Valley School District 101J||OR|
|20||North Hunterdon-Voorhees Regional High School District||NJ|
|21||N&M Bus Lines Inc.||NH|
|22||Northeast Nodaway R-V School District||MO|
|23||Flippin School District||AR|
|24||Bendle Public Schools||MI|
|25||Mechanicville City School District||NY|
|26||Champion Local Schools||OH|
|27||United Talmudical Academy||NY|
|28||Paris Community Unit School District No. 4||IL|
|29||Dietrich and Sons, Inc||ND|
|30||Kottkes' Bus Service, Inc||MN|
All applications received by EPA prior to the December 14, 2012 deadline were assigned a unique identification number. Using this number, eligible applications were selected for funding through a random number generator and rebate funds were reserved for those selected.
EPA has notified all applicants who were selected of their status. All other applicants will be placed on the Applicant Wait List (PDF) (20 pp, 346K, January 2013) in the order in which they were selected.
If a selected applicant fails to complete the rebate reimbursement requirements in Section 4.1 (PDF) (19 pp, 1.12MB, EPA-420-R-12-029, November 2012) of the Program Guide, they will forfeit all rebate funds reserved for them and the reserved funds will be offered to the next eligible applicant on the Applicant Wait List.
Selected applicants must complete the following steps to receive reimbursement:
- Within 90 days of the date of the Selection Letter, the selectee must submit a purchase order for new school bus. The date of the purchase order cannot pre-date the date of the Selection Letter. For Selectees with letters dated January 29, 2013, purchase orders must be submitted to EPA by April 29, 2013.
- Within nine months of the date of the Selection Letter, the selectee must:
- Accept delivery of new bus
- Scrap old bus (see Section 3.5.2 (PDF) (19 pp, 1.12MB, EPA-420-R-12-029, November 2012) of the Program Guide for details)
- Submit "Payment Request" form AND scrappage documentation. (see Section 3.6 (PDF) (19 pp, 1.12MB, EPA-420-R-12-029, November 2012) of the Program Guide for details)
- For Selectees with letters dated January 29, 2013, these items must be completed by October 29, 2013.
- EPA will review the submitted information and determine if all terms and conditions have been met. Once that determination has been made, EPA will electronically issue the rebate funds to the selectee.
- Selectees who fail to complete the required terms and conditions of the program in the time frame above will forfeit all rebate funds reserved for them.