Climate Change Waste - Tools and Resources
- Waste Reduction Model (WARM) - Helps solid waste planners track and report greenhouse gas emissions reductions from various waste management practices.
- Recycled Content (ReCon) Tool - Helps organizations, companies, and individuals estimate life-cycle GHG emissions and energy impacts from purchasing and/or manufacturing materials with varying degrees of post-consumer recycled content.
- Office Carbon Footprint Tool - Assists offices in making decisions to reduce their greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions associated with their activities.
- GHG Equivalency Calculator - Translates GHG emissions amounts into terms that are more easily understandable, such as "emissions of X number of cars annually".
- SMART BET (Saving Money And Reducing Trash Benefit Evaluation Tool) - Helps waste managers decide whether a Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) program is the right model for waste management in communities in their state.
- State Inventory and Projection Tool - An interactive spreadsheet model designed to help states develop GHG emissions inventories.
- Opportunities to Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions through Materials and Land Management Practices (PDF) (98 pp, 1.57 Mb, About PDF) || Factsheet (PDF) (2 pp, 1.5 Mb) - Details the significant potential to reduce the country's greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions through materials management, and land management policies.
- Solid Waste Management and Greenhouse Gases: A Life-Cycle Assessment of Emissions and Sinks (PDF) (170 pp, 8 Mb) - Examines the interrelationship between MSW management and climate change by presenting material-specific GHG emission factors for various waste management options.
- West Coast Climate & Materials Management Forum - An EPA-led partnership of western cities and states that are developing and sharing ways to integrate lifecycle materials management policies and practices into climate actions.
- Climate Action Toolkit - Provides ways to integrate life cycle materials management policies and practices into climate, sustainability, and solid waste plans.
- Climate Change Action Plans - Provides examples of climate change action plans developed by local governments are listed below according to their states.
- Reducing GHG Emissions through Recycling and Composting (PDF) (30 pp, 750 K) - Identifies the top ten materials in California, Oregon, and Washington with the greatest potential for reducing GHG emissions if diverted from landfill disposal through recycling and composting.
- Resource Conservation and Recovery: A Guide to Developing and Implementing Greenhouse Gas Reduction Programs (PDF) (40 pp, 2.75 Mb) - Guide for local governments on the energy saving and greenhouse gas reduction opportunities.
- Tools for Local Government Recycling Programs - Helps create or maintain a residential recycling program.