From simple to extensive, consider some of these rebuy opportunities when available. This is just a short list of possible options to help improve your environmental profile and bottom linethe opportunities are virtually limitless.
- Select plastic lumber made from recycled bottles and bags for benches and other outdoor structures.
- Incorporate rubberized asphalt (made from recycled tires) for parking lots, walking, running, bike, or cart paths.
- Purchase patio blocks and lawn edging containing recovered plastic or postconsumer rubber.
- Amend soils and turf with high quality compost.
- Use recycled glass for golf course bunker sand, beach sand, or filter media.
- Specify high performance concrete, which can contain fly ash and/or other recycled materials to double the life of conventional pavement, wall, and bridge applications.
- Restructure waste disposal contracts to pay only for waste actually disposed weight-based versus fixed rate; if a weight-based rate is not possible and your dumpster is only half-full each time, switch to less frequent pickups.
- Install composting toilets in remote locations such as parks and golf courses to save on waste disposal costs.
American Plastics Councils Plastic Products Groups
- Buy hoses, tubing, trickle irrigation systems made from recovered plastic and old tires.
- Use biobased1 cleaners and solvents for equipment.
- Install a green vegetated roof to reduce or eliminate stormwater and heat island effect. See EPAs Stormwater Management page for more information.
- Purchase and incorporate plants that require minimal or no supplemental watering.
Air and Energy
- Purchase biodiesel and biobased1 lubricants for your equipment.
- Compost makes an excellent air filter media for volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Specify Green Buildings requirements for building structures.
- Plant trees to replace those removed or damaged during construction.
- Buy locally produced goods and services whenever possible to reduce transportation emissions and costs.
- Purchase or rent fuel efficient vehicles for your fleet.
- Use high efficiency lighting for roadways, parking lots, security, and landscaping.
- Use solar powered lighting and signage wherever possible.
- Utilize solar, wind, and other renewable energy sources. Purchase green power from renewable energy sources if available.
Fertilizers and Pesticides
- Purchase organic, biobased1, or slow-release fertilizers.
- Use biopesticides instead of conventional pesticides.