Academic Laboratories Rulemaking (Subpart K)
- Implementation of Academic Laboratories Rulemaking
- Previous Efforts with Academic Laboratories
- Laboratories Operating as Satellite Accumulation Areas
- Where is the Academic Labs Rule in Effect?
- Hazardous Waste at Academic Laboratories: Technical Correction
- Hazardous Waste at Academic Laboratories: Final Rule
- Hazardous Waste at Academic Laboratories: Proposed Rule
- Support Materials for Proposed and Final Rules
Hazardous Waste at Academic Laboratories: Technical Correction
This action makes six technical corrections to the December 2008 Academic Laboratories final rule.
- Federal Register Notice - Direct Final Rule | PDF Version (5 pp, 69K, about PDF) - December 20, 2010
- Federal Register Notice - Proposed Rule | PDF Version (2 pp, 54K, about PDF) - December 20, 2010
Hazardous Waste at Academic Laboratories: Final Rule
EPA added a new subpart — Subpart K — to the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) hazardous waste generator regulatory requirements in Part 262. The new Subpart is applicable to eligible academic entities, which are colleges and universities, and teaching hospitals and nonprofit research institutes that are either owned by or formally affiliated with a college or university. The alternative set of regulations allows eligible academic entities the flexibility to make hazardous waste determinations in the laboratory; at an on-site central accumulation area; or at an on-site treatment, storage, or disposal facility (TSDF).
This rule also provides incentives for eligible academic entities to clean-out old and expired chemicals that may pose unnecessary risk. Further, this rule requires eligible academic entities that opt into the rule to develop a Laboratory Management Plan (LMP) which is expected to result in safer laboratory practices and increased awareness of hazardous waste management.
Eligible academic entities may also choose not to opt into the new rule and remain subject to the pre-existing hazardous waste generator requirements.
- Federal Register Notice | PDF Version (50pp, 485K, about PDF) - December 1, 2008
- Frequent Questions
- Fact Sheet | PDF Version (1 pg, 100K, about PDF)
- Press Release
Hazardous Waste at Academic Laboratories: Proposed Rule
EPA proposed alternative hazardous waste generator requirements applicable to college and university laboratories as defined in this proposed rule. The proposal provides a flexible and protective set of regulations that address the specific nature of hazardous waste generation in college and university laboratories. The flexibility in today’s proposed rule will allow colleges and universities the discretion to determine the most appropriate and effective method of compliance with today’s requirements. Additionally, this proposed rule grants colleges and universities the choice to manage their hazardous wastes in accordance with today’s alternative set of regulations or remain subject to the existing generator regulations set forth in 40 CFR 262.11 and 262.34(c).
- Federal Register Notice - Extension of Public Comment | PDF Version (2 pp, 75K, about PDF) - August 21, 2006
- Federal Register Notice - Proposed Rule | PDF Version (42 pp, 491K, about PDF) - May 23, 2006
- Fact Sheet | PDF Version (1 pg, 18K, about PDF)
- Frequent Questions | PDF Version (4 pp, 37K, about PDF)
The support materials for this rule and the public comments EPA received on the proposal are available for public review on Regulations.gov.