- Laws & Regulations
- RCRA History
- Hazardous Waste Regulations
- Non-Hazardous Waste Regulations
- Guidance & Policy
Non-hazardous Waste Regulations
The RCRA docket provides users with all the materials critical to each stage in the development of a rule, such as Federal Register notices and technical documents. Regulations.gov the government-wide centralized docket management system allows users to search the Agencys rulemaking dockets online, view the indices, and access those materials that are available online. Users may also submit comments online when a docket is open for public comment.
RCRA provides, in broad terms, the general guidelines for the waste management program envisioned by Congress. It includes a Congressional mandate directing EPA to develop a comprehensive set of regulations to implement the law. These regulations, or rulemakings, issued by EPA, translate the general mandate of the law into a set of requirements for the Agency and the regulated community.
When a regulation is formally proposed, it is published in the Federal Register to notify the public of EPAs intent to create new regulations or modify existing ones. EPA provides the public, including the potentially regulated community, with an opportunity to submit comments. Following an established comment period, EPA may revise the proposed rule based on both internal review and public comments. All final rules are compiled annually and incorporated into the Code of Federal Regulations.
The RCRA regulations are contained in Title 40 of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Parts 239 through 299. The CFR is a collection of all federal regulations codified and enforced by all federal agencies. Title 40 Protection of the Environment contains all of the regulations governing EPAs programs.
40 CFR Parts 239 through 259 contain the regulations for solid waste, while Parts 260 through 279 contain the hazardous waste regulations. The requirements for underground storage tanks, which are also regulated under RCRA, are located in 40 CFR Part 280. A list of all solid waste regulations with links to the regulatory text is provided below:
- Part 239 Requirements For State Permit Program Determination Of Adequacy
- Part 240 Guidelines For The Thermal Processing Of Solid Wastes
- Part 243 Guidelines For The Storage And Collection Of Residential, Commercial, And Institutional Solid Waste
- Part 246 Source Separation For Materials Recovery Guidelines
- Part 247 Comprehensive Procurement Guideline For Products Containing Recovered Materials
- Part 254 Prior Notice Of Citizen Suits
- Part 255 Identification Of Regions And Agencies For Solid Waste Management
- Part 256 Guidelines For Development And Implementation Of State Solid Waste Management Plans
- Part 257 Criteria For Classification Of Solid Waste Disposal Facilities And Practices
- Part 258 Criteria For Municipal Solid Waste Landfills
- Part 259 [Reserved]