Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
Plug-In to eCycling is now the SMM Electronics Challenge
Plug-In to eCycling was a partnership program between EPA and leading consumer electronics manufacturers, retailers, and mobile service providers that fostered and promoted opportunities for individuals to donate or recycle their electronics. Plug-In to eCycling has evolved into the Sustainable Materials Management (SMM) Electronics Challenge.
With the SMM Electronics Challenge, EPA is advancing the responsible management of used electronics by challenging manufacturers and retailers to voluntarily commit to sending 100 percent of used electronics collected for reuse and recycling to third-party certified recyclers, and increasing the total amount of used electronics collected. Importantly, through this voluntary challenge EPA is providing for a transparent and measurable way for electronic companies to show publicly the degree of progress they make towards reuse and recycling goals.
This new program allows for participants to join at any level that best suits their organization's experience and abilities - regardless of their starting baseline. Participants may gradually increase their commitment to a level that shows outstanding leadership in ensuring responsible management of used electronics during reuse and recycling.
- More than 360 million pounds of used electronics recycled
- Grew to 23 partners
- National Cell Phone Recycling Week (NCRPW) 2008, 2009:
- Call to action for the public to take their unwanted cell phones out of storage and bring them to Plug-in partners to be recycled
- Partners conducted special promotion and marketing outreach
- Outreach on the week generated 5.6 million media impressions across blog, online, print, and select broadcast media
- In 2009, NCPRW partners collected 531,541 used cell phones
- TV Recycling Challenge 2008:
- Five manufacturers participated in the Challenge, creating hundreds of drop-off locations for individuals to recycle their TVs
- Approximately 8.2 million pounds of TVs collected
- Outreach campaign generated approximately 1 million media impressions
For more information on electronics reuse or recycling opportunities for consumers and EPA’s current electronics stewardship efforts please select one of the following:
- eCycling – Provides basic information about reusing and recycling electronics. Includes information about regulations and standards and frequent questions about responsible electronics management.
- Electronics Recycling Certification - EPA encourages all electronics recyclers to become certified by demonstrating to an accredited, independent third-party auditor that they meet specific standards to safely recycle and manage electronics. This page provides more information on EPA’s position regarding electronics recycling practices and standards.
- SMM Electronics Challenge - The SMM Electronics Challenge is a national effort under EPA's Sustainable Materials Management Program.