Proposed Gas STAR Gold Program
About the Proposed Gas STAR Gold Program
The proposed Gas STAR Gold Program supports the White House Strategy to Reduce Methane Emissions (PDF) (15 pp, 1.9Mb, About PDF).
EPA is proposing a voluntary methane-reduction program for leading oil and gas companies, as an addition to the successful Natural Gas STAR Program. The proposed Gas STAR Gold Program will recognize facilities that implement a comprehensive suite of protocols to reduce methane emissions through available, cost-effective technologies throughout the oil production and natural gas value chain – offshore production, onshore production, gathering and boosting, processing, transmission, storage, LNG storage, LNG import and export and distribution.
The key goals of the Gas STAR Gold program are as follows:
- Showcase facilities that are already achieving reductions in methane emissions.
- Encourage facilities to identify and implement opportunities to achieve further reductions in methane emissions.
- Create a framework for credible, transparent and consistent reporting on facilities that can be easily understood and compared.
- Recognize progress that companies are achieving in emissions reductions relative to their overall operations.
EPA welcomes feedback from stakeholders both through discussions and feedback. Stakeholders can submit feedback in several ways:
- Through the EPA Outreach and Feedback page on this Gas STAR Gold website
- Through the Natural Gas STAR Program website: epa.gov/gasstar/contactus.html
- Directly to Roger Fernandez at 202-343-9386 or via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
EPA plans to evaluate and incorporate stakeholder feedback into a revised final framework document to be published in 2015. EPA anticipates formally launching the program soon thereafter with annual reporting and Gas STAR Gold recognition to follow.
Schedule for Program Outreach and Launch
EPA plans to host an event in Washington, DC, in 2015 to recognize companies that have committed to become Charter Partners of the Gas STAR Gold Program by signing a Letter of Intent. The first full annual cycle of the program will begin in 2015, and the first annual reporting cycle is proposed for 2016. Companies are welcome to join the program by signing a Letter of Intent at any point.
|Through May 11, 2014||Informal outreach / Stakeholder discussions|
|May 12, 2014||Presentation and discussion of Gas STAR Gold Program at Natural Gas STAR Annual Implementation Workshop – San Antonio, TX|
|June 18, 2014||Gas STAR Gold Webinar|
|Ongoing||Collection of Stakeholder Feedback
Stakeholder Meetings upon Request
|2015||Charter Partner Sign-up|
|2015||Formal Launch of Gas STAR Gold Program|
EPA invites stakeholders to provide feedback on the proposed Gas STAR Gold program.
Learn more about EPA's outreach efforts »