Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program
Proposed Rule Archive
Please note that the Final Greenhouse Gas Mandatory Reporting Rule is located at http://www.epa.gov/GHGreporting and was signed by the Administrator on September 22, 2009.
EPA is maintaining this archived Proposed Mandatory GHG Reporting Rule page for historical purposes.
In response to the FY2008 Consolidated Appropriations Act (H.R. 2764; Public Law 110–161), EPA has proposed a rule that requires mandatory reporting of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from large sources in the United States.
The proposed rule would collect accurate and comprehensive emissions data to inform future policy decisions.
In general, EPA proposes that suppliers of fossil fuels or industrial greenhouse gases, manufacturers of vehicles and engines, and facilities that emit 25,000 metric tons or more per year of GHG emissions submit annual reports to EPA. The gases covered by the proposed rule are carbon dioxide (CO2), methane (CH4), nitrous oxide (N2O), hydrofluorocarbons (HFC), perfluorocarbons (PFC), sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), and other fluorinated gases including nitrogen trifluoride (NF3) and hydrofluorinated ethers (HFE).
The proposed rule was signed by the Administrator on March 10, 2009. On April 10, 2009. the proposed rule was published in the Federal Register (www.regulations.gov) under Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OAR-2008-0508:
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
The Proposed Mandatory Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule public comment period ended June 9, 2009. The comment period was open for 60 days, following publication of the proposed rule in the Federal Register, April 10, 2009. Late comments may still be submitted on the proposed rule; however, the Clean Air Act does not require that the Environmental Protection Agency consider comments submitted past the end of the official comment period June 9, 2009, when developing the final rule.
- Press Release (3/10/2009)
- Proposed Mandatory GHG Reporting Rule Preamble (PDF) (161 pp, 4.1M)
- Proposed Mandatory GHG Reporting Rule (PDF) (126 pp, 1.6M)
- Proposed Rule Supporting Documents in the Docket
- Proposed Rule Regulatory Impact Analysis (PDF) (260 pp, 5.9M)
- Technical Support Documents for the Proposed Rule
- Power point presentation providing a general overview of the Proposed Mandatory Greenhouse Gas Reporting Rule (PDF) (23 pp, 342K)
- General Fact Sheet for the Proposed Mandatory GHG Reporting Rule (PDF) (2 pp, 30K)
- Information Sheets for Each of the Source Categories Covered in the Proposed Rule
- Guides for industry sectors: These reference materials outline how the Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program could affect various industry sectors.
- Guide for Agriculture Information Sheet (PDF) (3 pp, 51K)
- Guide for State and Local Agencies Information Sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 45K)
- Guide for Small Businesses Information Sheet (PDF) (3 pp, 40K)
- Guide for Tribal Governments Information Sheet(PDF) (2 pp, 40K)
- Mobile Sources Information Sheet Information Sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 53K)
- Consolidated Appropriations Act (PDF) (613 pp, 1.4M). See page 285 for the appropriations language on mandatory GHG emissions reporting.
- Consolidated Appropriations Act, Conference Report (PDF) (230 pp, 1.0M). See page 1254 (page 94 of the PDF file) for an explanatory statement providing more detail on the GHG reporting rule.
- Public Comments submitted during the public comment period may be found at: Docket ID No. EPA-HQ-OAR-2008-0508 in the Federal Register (www.regulations.gov).
- Regulatory Impact Analysis for the Mandatory Reporting of Greenhouse Gas Emissions Final Rule (PDF) (213 pp, 1.3M)
- Response to Comments
- PowerPoint Presentation Overview of Part 98 (PDF) (75 pp, 1M)
- 2011 Special Provisions (PDF) (5 pp, 52K)
- General Fact Sheet: What is Part 98? The General Fact Sheet (PDF) (3 pp, 57K) provides a broad-based overview of Part 98, including information about Part 98's genesis, development, public involvement, and a general look at reporting requirements.