Asian carp have been found in the Illinois River, which connects the Mississippi River to Lake Michigan. Due to their large size and rapid rate of reproduction, these fish could pose a significant risk to the Great Lakes ecosystem.
The following agencies are working together to install and maintain a permanent electric barrier between the fish and Lake Michigan to prevent the carp from entering the Great Lakes:
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- State of Illinois
- International Joint Commission
- Great Lakes Fishery Commission
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
In February 2010, the Asian Carp Regional Coordinating Committee held public meetings about the Asian carp issue.
- Transcript of February 12, 2010 Chicago (PDF) (176 pp , 913 K)
- Transcript of meeting in Ypsilanti, MI February 17, 2010 (PDF) (158 pp, 478 K)