Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us

Great Lakes

Site Information

Enlarge map


Scott Cieniawski
Great Lakes National Program Office


River Raisin Legacy Act Cleanup

River Raisin Area of Concern

Aerial view of the project area

Aerial view of the project area. (Click to enlarge)

June 2012 — EPA and state partner Michigan DEQ began dredging work to remove PCB contaminated sediments from the River Raisin Area of Concern.

Dredging is expected to continue through fall 2012. Contractors will use both mechanical and hydraulic dredging techniques.

A mechanical dredge will remove approximately 3,000 cubic yards of the most highly contaminated material, transfer it to the adjacent Ford Motor Co. property and process it for disposal at a licensed landfill in Wayne County, Mich., about 35 miles north of the site.

A hydraulic dredge will be used to remove about 106,000 cubic yards of less contaminated sediment. This material will be transported through a pipeline to the Sterling State Park confined disposal facility, about two miles north of the mouth of the river.

EPA funds 65 percent of the project through the Great Lakes Legacy Act, or about $11.1 million. MDEQ will provide the remaining 35 percent share, about $6.2 million, through cash and in-kind services.

The River Raisin Area of Concern has been defined as the 2.6-mile lower portion of the River Raisin, downstream from the low head dam at Winchester Bridge in the city of Monroe, extending one-half mile out into Lake Erie following the Federal Navigation Channel and along the nearshore zone of Lake Erie, both north and south, for one mile. It is also one of four priority on an expidited cleanup schedule for 2012.

You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.


Jump to main content.