Open Lakes Trend Monitoring Program: Total Chlordane
For further information on the Great Lakes Fish Monitoring and Surveillance Program, please contact:
Elizabeth Murphy (email@example.com)
EPA Great Lakes National Program Office
(312) 353-4227 or 1-800-621-8431 x34227
Access the Data
You can also contact the program manager, Elizabeth Murphy, for information regarding the GLFMSP and/or supporting data.
Peer reviewed journal articles published using GLFMSP data can also be found on the Reports & Links page.
Chlordane is an organochlorine pesticide that was banned from use in the U.S. in 1983 with the exception of use for termite control. In 1988 chlordane was banned for all uses. Concentrations of α- + γ-chlordane in whole Lake Trout and Walleye have consistently declined since the chemical was banned by the U.S. EPA. In recent years, the concentrations in fish appear to have reached a steady state with no significant increases or decreases. The highest observed median concentrations are in Lake Trout from Lake Michigan (0.018 µg/g ww), followed by Lake Ontario (0.012 µg/g ww). Median concentration in Lakes Superior, Huron, and Erie are all below 0.01 µg/g ww.
GLFMSP chlordane publications:
- De Vault, D. S., Willford, W.A., Hesselberg, R.J., Nortrupt, D.A., Rundberg, E.G.S., Alwan, A.K., and C. Bautista. 1986 Contaminant trends in lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush) from the upper Great Lakes. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicol. 15:349-356
- De Vault, D. S., Hesselberg, R., Rodgers, P.W., Feist, T.J. 1996. Contaminant Trends in Lake Trout and Walleye from the Laurentian Great Lakes. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 22(4):884-895.
- Carlson, D.L., and Swackhamer, D.L, 2006. Results from the U.S. Great Lakes Fish Monitoring Program and Effects of Lake Processes on Contaminant Concentrations. Journal of Great Lakes Research. 32 (2): 370 – 385.
- Carlson, D.L., DeVault, D.S., and Swackhamer, D.L., 2010. On the rate of decline of persistent organic contaminants in lake trout (Salvelinus namaycush) from the Great Lakes, 1970-2003. Environmental Science and Technology. 44 (6): 2004-10.
- Hickey, J. P., S. A. Batterman, S. M. Chernyak. 2006. Trends of Chlorinated Organic Contaminants in Great Lakes Trout and Walleye from 1970 to 1998. Arch. Environ. Contam. Toxicology. 50: 97 - 110.