Indoor airPLUS Construction Specifications
Version 1 (Rev. 02)
Indoor airPLUS Version 1 (Rev. 02) includes program updates issued since release of Revision 1 in February 2013, which improved alignment with ENERGY STAR Certified Homes and updated many of the Indoor airPLUS program requirements. These revisions include additional program improvements designed to address builder and rater feedback.
Download the Indoor airPLUS Version 1 (Rev. 02) Construction Specifications
- Download the Adobe Acrobat fillable form version of the Revision 2 Verification Checklist (PDF) (2 pp, 364 K)
Indoor airPLUS Policy Record
- Indoor airPLUS Policy Record (PDF) (8 pp, 138 K)This policy record was posted on November 18, 2013 and contains all official program updates on policy issues identified and resolved since the last revision to the Indoor airPLUS Construction Specifications (Revision 1, February 2013). These updates include changes, clarifications and refinements that are incorporated into Revision 2 of the Construction Specifications and Verification Checklist.
- Webinar: Building on ENERGY STAR, stepping Up to EPA's Indoor airPLUS Label, June 25, 2013
As the companion program to ENERGY STAR that provides comprehensive indoor air quality protections in new homes, Indoor airPLUS improves the comfort, quality and value of the homes you build, certify, and sell. During this Webinar, experts described how Indoor airPLUS Revision 1, released February 2013, works with ENERGY STAR Version 3 to streamline and simplify the program's Construction Specifications and inspection requirements. The speakers also provided insight into marketing the indoor air quality protections and value of Indoor airPLUS homes.
Watch the Webinar (SWF) (00:48:09), Transcript (TXT, 46 K)
- Indoor airPLUS Revision 2 Training Presentation
EPA has updated the training slides to reflect the Revision 2 updates to the Indoor airPLUS Construction Specifications. The slide deck can be used as is or adapted to train providers, raters, builders and others on the Indoor airPLUS program. The PDF of the PowerPoint presentation contains slides covering the importance of indoor air quality; how to partner with EPA to build Indoor airPLUS homes; details of the revised Construction Specifications including new policy updates incoporated since the release of Revision 1; and how to explain the benefits of Indoor airPLUS to customers. Download the slides (PDF), January 14, 2014 (133 pp, 3.6 M)
- Sign up for ENERGY STAR training sessions.
Contact the Indoor airPLUS support team for technical and other support.
When are these changes effective?
The Indoor airPLUS Construction Specifications Version 1 (Rev. 02) may be used by builders and Raters immediately.
Homes permitted on or after July 1, 2013 must use the Revision 1 or Revision 2 Construction Specifications and Verification Checklist. Raters should complete only one Indoor airPLUS Verification Checklist per home.
Why isn't this revision called Version 2?
The changes being adopted now are technical and policy clarifications and revisions but do not increase the requirements for builders to obtain the Indoor airPLUS label. EPA intends to make periodic refinements to the Indoor airPLUS Constructions Specifications using a Policy Record process to record and update Indoor airPLUS partners about future changes.
Indoor airPLUS Archives
EPA has archived the original Indoor airPLUS Construction Specifications and Verification Checklist as a reference for building professionals.
- Indoor airPLUS Construction Specifications (Rev.01) This version was issued before Indoor airPLUS Construction Specifications Version 1 (Rev. 02).
- Indoor airPLUS Verification Checklist (Rev.01) (PDF) (2 pp, 462 K). This version was issued before Indoor airPLUS Verification Checklist Version 1 (Rev. 02).
- Indoor airPLUS Construction Specifications (2009) This version was issued before Indoor airPLUS Construction Specifications Version 1 (Rev. 01). Homes permitted after June 30, 2013 must use either Revision 1 or Revision 2 of the Indoor airPLUS Construction Specifications and Verification Checklist.
- Indoor airPLUS Verification Checklist (2009) (PDF) (2 pp, 462 K). This version was issued before Indoor airPLUS Verification Checklist Version 1 (Rev. 01). Homes permitted after June 30, 2013 must use either Revision 1 or Revision 2 of the Indoor airPLUS Construction Specifications and Verification Checklist.
The Agency has also developed extensive technical guidance to help home builders and their subcontractors, architects, and other housing professionals understand not only the intent but also the implementation of the specification requirements of the IAQ labeling program. The guidance is divided into seven modules. The Moisture Control Module is currently available, the six other modules (Radon Control, Pest Barriers, HVAC Systems, Combustion Pollutant Control, Low-Emission Materials and Home Commissioning) will be added as they become available.