IAQ Tools for Schools
School Health and Indoor Environments Leadership Development Summit (SHIELDS)
Advancing Your Goals with Pacing Events
Pacing events are used to converge various streams of work and interests around a common vision or goal. They are action learning events designed to generate commitments — if designed carefully, any event can be a pacing event.
At the Summit participants collaborated to design nine pacing events. The events will advance the SHIELDS vision and take place throughout the country — check out the list of events to see if one will be near you.
2013 Pacing Events
Fall 2013 - Integrating IEQ Assessment into Energy Management and Building Retrofits.
September 28, 2013 - International Green Apple Day of Service
Green Apple is a global movement to put all children in schools where they have clean and healthy air to breathe, where energy and resources are conserved, and where they can be inspired to dream of a brighter future.
- Host: USGBC Center for Green Schools, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://mygreenapple.org
September 2013, November 2013, February 2014 - Midwest Healthy Schools Showcase Webinars
The intent of the webinars is to share best practices, provide networking opportunities and surface IAQ local leaders.
- Host: EPA Region 5, Council of Educational Facility Planners International, Improving Kids' Environment.
October 17, 2013 - Mid-Atlantic Healthy Schools Training Conference
Event rescheduled to March 6, 2014. Stay tuned for registration details.
(Date TBD) "Don't Get Caught without an IAQ Plan" Webinar
A school district with IAQ management experience will share their best practices on this webinar.
- Host: Shelly Rosenblum, EPA Region 9, email@example.com
Fall 2013/Spring 2014 - Green Cleaning Webinars
The intent of the webinars is to educate specific stakeholder groups — school nurses, teachers, principals — about green cleaning and give them the information needed to make positive environmental changes in their schools.
- Host: Chicago Healthy Schools Campaign, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://healthyschoolscampaign.org/events/
2014 Pacing Events
January 2014 (3 webinars) - A Vision for Healthy Schools Webinars
The intent of the webinars is to educate attendees on using new tools and best practices for improving energy efficiency and IAQ by empowering attendees to produce dramatic results.
- Host: EPA - Energy Star, Indoor Environments Division, email@example.com
March 28, 2014 - Green Schools National Conference, Sacramento, CA
4th annual conference hosted by the Green Schools National Network.
- Host: Green Schools National Network, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: http://conference.greenschoolsnationalnetwork.org/
April 2014 - National Healthy Schools Day
National Healthy Schools Day is a public day of awareness meant to empower teachers, schools, parents and kids to improve children's health and IAQ.
- Host: Healthy Schools Network, email@example.com
- Website: http://www.nationalhealthyschoolsday.org/
Spring 2014 - Fighting Asthma Disparities Summit: Creating Healthy Indoor Learning Environments, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA
The intent of the event is to reduce asthma disparities for those working with children (school nurses, facilities personnel, teachers, administrators, practitioners) through networking, increasing awareness, and improving skill sets and strategies.
- Host: Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, firstname.lastname@example.org
Spring 2014 - New England Healthy Schools Summit, location TBD
The intent of the event for schools, school districts and state policy makers share, disseminate and learn IAQ best practices.
- Host: TBD
(Spring 2014) - New York State Healthy Schools Summit, Albany, NY
The intent of the event is to enhance knowledge of school stakeholders, including districts, agencies, parents and child health advocates.
- Host: Healthy Schools Network - NY, email@example.com
May 2014 - Annual School Clean Up Day
The intent of the event is to remove the dust, dirt and clutter throughout our schools to address asthma triggers, allergens and pest management.
- Host: Sherry Glick, EPA - IPM, firstname.lastname@example.org
September 30, 2014 - School of the Future Competition
This annual competition, open to middle school students, challenges student teams to design their schools to enhance learning, conserve resources, be environmentally responsive and engage the surrounding community.
- Host/Organizer: Council of Educational Facility Planners International, email@example.com
- Website: http://www.cefpi.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3338
October 2014 - Empowering School Integrated Pest Management (IPM), Orlando, Florida
The intent of the event is to educate attendees on: how to market an IPM program for schools; develop and implement IPM plan; increase IPM adoption in schools; improve air quality; and reduce asthma triggers.
- Host: National Pest Management Association, firstname.lastname@example.org