IAQ Tools for Schools
Key words from each participate of the SHIELDS Summit is represented in the word cloud above. The collective vision of the Summit is to create healthy indoor environments in schools that protect student and staff health, increase productivity and reduce absenteeism.
School Health and Indoor Environments Leadership Development (SHIELD) is the umbrella around which stewards of school environmental health and indoor air quality link together to achieve one goal. Through a strong knowledge base, networking and action learning events, leaders representing school districts, NGO, States & Local Governments, Industry and other school-based organizations spur action, obtain results and share accountability for the vision of creating holistic, healthy school environments nationwide.
The SHIELD Summit is an event designed to improve indoor school environments by gathering the individuals and organizations in the SHIELD Network. The Summit activates the Network by inspiring and equipping the network's diverse, engaged and committed stakeholders to expand their leadership role in the national healthy school indoor environments effort.
At the 2012 and 2013 Summits, participants collaborated to design pacing events that bring together individuals and networks of various streams of work and interests to achieve a common goal. These events will advance the SHIELD vision and take place throughout the country. To learn about local and national events and training opportunities that you can get involved in, visit the IAQ Tools for Schools Calendar of Events.
How can you get involved in the School Health and Indoor Environments Leadership Development initiative?
Take Action and Help Advance Healthy Indoor Environments in Schools
1. Show Your Commitment
Declaration of Commitment
To add your name to the list of people who have signed the Declaration, send an email to IAQschools@epa.gov and share what actions you are taking to achieve the vision of healthy indoor environments in schools.
- Sign the Declaration of Commitment to show your commitment to the SHIELDS vision of green and healthy indoor environments in schools. To achieve this vision, you are declaring that you will share your knowledge of best practices with others in the healthy schools movement. The Declaration also states that you are committing to collaborate to develop and deploy action learning activities that strengthen our community and advance our vision by convening, hosting or sponsoring stakeholder events.
- Download the SHIELDS logo and add it into your email signature.
2. Make Your Stakeholder Events More Impactful
- View the materials from the 2013 Summit, including the
SHIELD Summit Meeting Agenda PDF (1 page, 377 K, about PDF) and
Event Slides PDF (20 pp, 1.4 M), to learn more about pacing events, leadership development, other sessions that took place throughout the day and the knowledge that was shared.
- Use the Pacing Events Primer (PDF) (2 pp, 1.2 M) to enhance the effectiveness of your current activities that promote healthy indoor environments in schools.
3. Support a Pacing Event
- Help create, manage and sustain healthy school indoor environments by attending or offering your support to one of the nine pacing events created at SHIELDS,
as well as other pacing events being sponsored by SHIELDS attendees —
check out the list of events to locate one near you.
- Review the IAQ Tools for Schools guidance to familiarize yourself with how healthy indoor environments are created, managed and sustained. You may also use IAQ Tools for Schools presentations from past Symposia or webinars to help educate your pacing event attendees and empower them to implement comprehensive IAQ management plans.
4. Share Your Success
- To share updates on your pacing events, or for more information on SHIELDS, email IAQschools@epa.gov. Your story may be highlighted in an upcoming E-newsletter or on this webpage.