From June 13-22, 2012, nearly fifty thousand people from all levels of government and almost every sector gathered in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to prepare for and participate in the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (often referred to as Rio+20) and related events. Through this Conference – the largest in United Nations history – the global community elevated the conversation on sustainable development and reached a landmark agreement on its two main themes: the green economy and the institutional framework for sustainable development (IFSD).
EPA played an active role in the United States government preparations for and presence at Rio+20, in partnership with a range of U.S. agencies, led by the State Department, and the stakeholder community. Besides playing an important role in negotiations and advancing multi-stakeholder participation, the Agency hosted a range of side events and promoted several key programs. These included the Youth Sustainability Challenge, the U.S.-Brazil Joint Initiative on Urban Sustainability, the Climate and Clean Air Coalition and events on sustainable public procurement and other key initiatives at the Corporate Sustainability Forum as positive, practical examples of how to achieve environmental and socially inclusive economic growth.
In addition to playing an important role during official negotiations, representatives from EPA participated in a wide range of programs at the U.S. Center and at parallel events during the United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development. Delegation members from EPA also took time to share their thoughts on the experience at Rio+20. The links below help illustrate some of the ways in which EPA contributed to a strong outcome at Rio+20.
Blogs from Rio
- Share Your Stories of Sustainability by EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson
- Seizing the Opportunity in Rio by EPA General Council, Scott Fulton
- Green Chemistry Class at Rio+20 by Deputy Associate Administrator of Policy, Bicky Corman
- Addressing E-Waste at Rio+20 by Office of Global Affairs and Policy Director, Walker Smith
- Youth Sustainability Challenge Winners by EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson
- Rio+20 Side Event on Building Markets for Greener Products by Deputy Associate Administrator of Policy, Bicky Corman
EPA Activities at Rio+20:
- U.S.-Brazil Joint Initiative on Urban Sustainability
- E-Waste Challenge:
- "How can we manage e-waste & discarded electronics to safeguard human health & protect our environment?"
- Join the Conversation!
- Youth Sustainability Video Challenge
These activities took place alongside other events at the U.S. Center throughout Rio+20. EPA also participated in other side events, including at the Corporate Sustainability Forum and the World Congress on Justice, Governance, and Law for Environmental Sustainability .
Back to:International Organizations
For additional information on EPA's work with the Rio+20 Conference, contact:
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Office of International and Tribal Affairs (2670R)
1200 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20460