Lean in Air Permitting Guide
A Supplement to the Lean in Government Starter Kit
The Lean in Air Permitting Guide is designed to help air program managers at public agencies better understand the potential value and results that can be achieved by applying Lean improvement methods to air permitting processes. The Guide provides an overview of Lean and air permitting successes and detailed descriptions of typical Lean air permitting events. More specifically, the Lean in Air Permitting Guide offers information and tips for applying Lean to an air permitting event and reviews the improvements identified in nine state environmental agency Lean air permitting events.
This guide also builds on and complements the information presented in two Lean Government products developed by EPA and the Environmental Council of States (ECOS):
- Working Smart for Environmental Protection: Improving State Agency Processes with Lean and Six Sigma (PDF, 55 pp, 758KB, About PDF), which introduces the use of Lean methods for state agency processes and describes the benefits gained by state agencies that have held Lean events.
- Lean in Government Starter Kit: How to Implement Successful Lean Initiatives at Environmental Agencies (PDF, 91 pp, 1.65MB, About PDF), which provides detailed information and tools for planning and implementing a Lean event.
The Guide should be used in conjunction with the Lean in Government Starter Kit (Starter Kit), which presents step-by-step instructions for implementing a Lean event.
- Lean in Air Permitting
- Introduction, Overview, and Organization
- Section 1: What Really Happens During an Air Permitting Lean Event?
- Section 2: Applying the Starter Kit to an Air Permitting Lean Event
- Section 3: Improvements Identified in Lean Air Permitting Events
- Section 4: Successful Lean Implementation and Follow-up
- Section 5: Further Information and Contacts