Extramural Research - People, Prosperity and the Planet
Topics in this Section
P3 Research Project Search
If your project is recommended after peer review, you will be contacted with an email requesting the following information. It is important that EPA receives this information quickly to make final decisions in time for you to receive your funding at the start of the school year.
Pre-award information for new EPA grantees in the P3 Program
ITEM A. Submit your budget using form 424A (see below).
ITEM B. Complete and return the following EPA forms. Some of these may have been submitted with your original proposal. If not, or if you are unsure, please submit them again to expedite the process.
Please FedEX the following to Cynthia Nolt-Helms:
- 424 (Application for federal assistance) with original signature
- 424a Budget form
- 424b Assurances Non Construction Programs
- Key contacts
- Current and Pending Support
- Certificate for Lobbying
- Certificate for Debarment, Suspension, etc.
- EPA form 4700-4 (PDF) (Pre-award compliance)-Your university needs only one of these forms on file with EPA. If they already have one with us, there is no need to send a new one.
ITEM C. Abstract (Note: Abstracts of funded applications form the basis for an Annual Report of awards made under this program and will be posted on the NCER web site.) The abstract, limited to one page, must include the following information as indicated in the example format provided. Examples of abstracts for current grants may be found on the P3 web site, www.epa.gov/P3.
Please email your abstract to Cynthia Nolt-Helms (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the following format:
- Sorting Code: Enter the full name of the solicitation (P3 Award: A National Student Design Competition for Sustainability focusing on People, Prosperity, and the Planet) and the sorting code that best represents the proposed project.
- Title: Use the exact title of your project as it appears in the application. The title must be brief, yet represent the major thrust of the project.
- Faculty Advisor: List the Faculty Advisor, then the names and affiliations of each co-advisor who will significantly contribute to the project. Provide a web site URL or an e-mail contact address for additional information.
- Institutions: In the same order as the list of advisors, list the name and city/state of each participating university or other applicant institution. The lead institution applying for the grant must be clearly identified.
- Student Represented Departments and Institutions: List the departments and institutions that will be represented through student participation on the team.
- Project Period: The project will begin on or about September 1, 2007 and end on or about May 30, 2008.
- Project Amount (EPA): Show the total dollar request, including direct and indirect costs, to the EPA for the entire project period such that the budget total does not exceed $10,000 including direct and indirect costs.
- Total Project Amount: Show the total dollar amount, including the total dollar request from EPA and an estimate of the total contribution (funding and/or in-kind) that will be provided by partners (such as educational institutions, industry, NGOs) for Phase I.
- Project Summary: Cover the following: (1) Definition of a technical challenge to sustainability; (2) Development of an innovative design approach with technical merit to address the challenge; (3) Discussion of how the challenge and proposed design relate to sustainability including people, prosperity, and the planet; (4) Description of strategy for measuring results, evaluation and implementation; and (5) Description of how P3 concepts will be implemented as an educational tool at the university.
- Key words: Select from list below.
ITEM D: You will receive the summary comments from the peer review panel. If the reviewers express any concerns, please address these in a separate file in a brief narrative entitled: "Answers to reviewers' concerns." If there are no concerns, please write a sentence saying there are no concerns as the narrative file. You can email this file as an attachment.
In summary, the forms (with original signatures) need to be sent by overnight express mail while the abstract and response to reviewers comments can be emailed.