Extramural Research - People, Prosperity and the Planet
Project Descriptions and Photos
P3 Research Project Search
EPA Grant Number: SU831810
Title: Waste to Value: Incorporating Industrial Symbiosis for Sustainable Infrastructure
Sustainability through Symbiosis: Using industrial wastes as raw materials in various industrial processes
This P3 project is investigating a number of opportunities to use industrial wastes for raw materials and energy savings. Investigators are working with industries in Commerce City, CO to:
- Identify and exchange their wastes for re-use in other processes,
- Develop a new technology that can use particular waste streams as raw materials, and
- Use waste energy to fuel these re-use opportunities
Two of the opportunities being researched are:
- Using higher concentrations of recycled fly ash in concrete mixes.
- Using novel methods to purify spent engine oil to make a useful, new product.