Jump to main content or area navigation.

Contact Us

Extramural Research

Frequent Questions

Q. Where can I find information about the current SBIR Solicitation?
A. The Solicitation requirements are posted on the NCER/SBIR website. A SBIR Fact Sheet is posted on this site which provides additional information about the program.

Q. Is our company eligible for a SBIR contract?
A. The Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program is a phased process across the Federal Government of soliciting proposals and awarding funding agreements for research (R) orĀ  research and development (R&D) to meet stated agency needs or missions. Only small business concern businesses are eligible to participate. A small business concern is described in full in the solicitation. For more information on eligibility and the SBIR Program in general, see www.SBIR.gov.

Q. After submitting a proposal, what is the next step?
A. Once a proposal has been submitted and considered to be responsive, it will be forwarded for External Peer Review. You may expect to receive written feedback in or around February of 2015. Proposals evaluated “Very Good” and “Excellent” will also undergo an EPA Programmatic Review, as described in the solicitation. It is anticipated that approximately 20 contract awards will be made in or around April of 2015.

Q. If a brief description/summary is provided about an offeror’s technology, could a representative from the EPA recommend the topic that best fits our technology?
A. It is the complete responsibility of the offeror to select and identify the best topic for its proposal as stated in Section I of the Solicitation.

Q. Can more than one proposal be submitted?
A. The same proposal cannot be submitted under more than one topic. An organization may, however, submit separate proposals on different topics, or different proposals on the same topic, as long as the proposals are not duplicates of the same research principle modified to fit the topic. If such duplicates are submitted, only one will be reviewed. Refer to Sections IV, V, and VI for additional requirements.

Q. Can we request a copy of the Solicitation or supporting Appendices?
A. This office does not mail copies of the solicitation. However, the solicitation and appendices are available on the following website: FedConnect exit EPA

Q. Do we have to have a Tax Identification number before submitting a proposal?
A. No. BUT a Tax Identification is required at time of award.

Q. How do we submit our proposal this year?
A. The EPA is now using an electronic proposal submission system, FedConnect. All companies must register in FedConnect before submitting a proposal. In addition, FedConnect requires that companies be registered with the System for Award Management (SAM).

Q. Do we need a DUNS number in order to submit a proposal?
A. Yes, firms need a DUNs number to register with the System for Award Management (SAM). All responsive firms must obtain a DUNs number and be registered with theSystem for Award Management (SAM) prior to registering in FedConnect.

If you have any problems registering in SAM, contact the Federal service desk at 1-866-606-8220. Tell the representative that you need to register your company name and information (which is your name and address). Once you register, it may take 3-5 business days to become active in the system.

Q. “What is” and “Who should be” the “Endorser” in regards to the proposal?
A. The Endorser is usually the Principal Investigator or President of the Company.

Q. What is the best way to protect proprietary information contained in our proposal?
A. A Proprietary Notice is located on the bottom of Appendix A, “Proposal Cover Sheet”.

Q. Can we use a consultant or subcontractor?
A. As stated in the Solicitation, for a SBIR Phase I proposal, a minimum of two-thirds of the research and/or analytical effort, as measured by the budget, must be performed by the proposing small business concern, and the balance of one third may be outsourced to a consultant or subcontractor or a combination of the two.

Q. Can a modification or update to a proposal be issued?
A. An Offeror can submit [changes and/or updates] prior to the closing date. After the closing date, there is NO opportunity to modify or update a proposal unless the change is requested by the Contracting Officer

Top of page

Jump to main content.