Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Staff
Title: Research Chemist
EPA Division: Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
EPA Branch: Chemical Exposure Research Branch
Susan’s research has focused on contaminants of emerging concern (CECs)—chemicals such as pharmaceuticals, flame retardants and surfactants— in the water cycle. Her initial work in this area examined the concentration of these chemicals in wastewater effluents, and their environmental persistence. Since many of these chemicals are associated with household wastewater, they have the potential to be used as tracers of human fecal pathogens. Susan’s current research is examining the occurrence of CECs during drinking water treatment to determine which chemicals people are exposed to through the tap.
- Ph.D. Environmental Science, Indiana University, 1998
- M.S.E.S. Environmental Chemistry, Indiana University, 1996
- B.S. Chemistry, University Scholar, Xavier University, 1993
- Research Chemist, USEPA, ORD, NERL-MCEARD, Cincinnati, OH 1998-present
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Chemical Society, Environmental Chemistry Division
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry
Select Awards and Honors:
- US EPA Quality Step Increase Award, 2008, 2011
- Glassmeyer, S.T., USEPA Office of Research and Development Research on Contaminants of Emerging Concern Water Research Foundation Expert Workshop on EDCs/PPCPs in Drinking Water, Denver, CO, September 2011.
- Glassmeyer, S.T., D.W. Kolpin, E.T. Furlong Measuring Contaminants of Emerging Concern in the Environment: Is There Such a Thing as Too Much QA/QC?, Water Quality Technical Conference, Savannah, GA. November, 2010.
- Glassmeyer, S.T., Emerging Contaminants in the Drinking Water Cycle, Association of State and Interstate Water Pollution Control Administrators Research Summary on EDCs and PPCPs Webinar, August 2009.
- Glassmeyer, S.T., C.G. Daughton, J.M. Lazorchak, A.L. Batt, M.S. Kostich, M.A. Mills, I.S. Ruhoy, and T.L. Jones-Lepp, United States Environmental Protection Agency Research on Pharmaceuticals and Personal Care Products KNAPPE International Conference, Nimes, France February 2008.
- Glassmeyer, S.T., E.T. Furlong, D.W. Kolpin, I.Ferrer, J.D.Cahill, S.D. Zaugg, S.L. Werner, and D.D. Kryak “Transport of Chemical and Microbial Contaminants From Known Wastewater Discharges”, Global Water Research Coalition Workshop on Pharmaceuticals, Nieuwegein, The Netherlands, December 2003.
Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
Office of Research and Development
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
27 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45268