Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Staff
Richard A. Haugland
Title: Research Microbiologist
EPA Division: Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
EPA Branch: Microbial Exposure Research Branch
Expertise is in the development and application of nucleic acid-based analytical methods for monitoring microorganisms in indoor environments and recreational and drinking water. Most recent work has contributed to the determination of relationships between fecal indicator bacteria densities in recreational waters, as determined by a rapid quantitative polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) method, and risk of swimming-related illness. These relationships have been used by the U.S. EPA, Office of Water to recommend new qPCR-based water quality criteria guidelines for recreational waters. Current work is on providing assistance to the Office of Water in developing qPCR technology implementation guidance to States. Future work is anticipated to provide additional data for development and assessment of Quantitative Microbial Risk Assessment (QMRA) models.
- Ph.D. Developmental Biology, 1978
- B.S. Biology, Muskingum College, 1973
- Research Microbiologist, USEPA, ORD, NERL-MCEARD, Cincinnati, OH, 1991 – present
- Research Assistant, University of Cincinnati, 1989 – 1991
- Research Associate, University of Illinois at Chicago, 1986 – 1989. \
- Research Molecular Biologist, Allied Corporation, Syracuse, NY, 1983 – 1986.
- Research Associate, Oregon State University, 1982 – 1983
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Society for Microbiology
Select Awards and Honors:
- NERL Special Recognition Award, 2011
- EPA Scientific and Technology Achievement Awards, 1999, 2006, 2010(2)
- EPA Superior/Exceptional/Outstanding Accomplishment Recognition Awards, 1999, 2001, 2010
- EPA Bronze Medals for Commendable Service, 2002, 2005, 2008
- Engineers and Scientists of Cincinnati, Scientist in Government Professional Accomplishment Award, 2004
- EPA Gold Medal for Exceptional Service, 2001
- Federal Laboratory Consortium Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, 2001
- Haugland, R.A. 2010. EPA-ORD qPCR Fecal Indicator Method Implementation Research Interests. Rapid Detection Methods: Translating a Research Agenda into an Implementation Strategy workshop, Racine, WI.
- Haugland, R.A. and R. Oshiro. 2011. Issues related to standardization of QPCR method results for recreational water quality monitoring. UNC Water and Health Conference, Rapid Methods Workshop, Chapel Hill, NC
- Haugland, R.A., K. Oshima, K. Brenner, L. Wymer, A. Dufour, M. Varma, S. Siefring, T. Wade, E. Sams, and R. Oshiro, 2011. U.S.EPA Enterococcus qPCR test method. Water Quality and Technology Conference, Special Topics Session: Moving Molecular Techniques into Methods, Phoenix, AZ.
Richard A. Haugland
Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
Office of Research and Development
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
27 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45268