Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Staff
Brian R. McMinn
EPA Division: Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
EPA Branch: Biohazard Assessment Research Branch
Expertise in optimization of viral concentration techniques using electropositive filters to detect viable and non-viable virus targets from finished water using molecular and cell culture detection techniques. Most recent work includes conducting experiments to determine the fate and transport of fecal indicator bacteria and viruses in both fresh and marine waters.
- M.S. Environmental Microbiology, 2006
- B.S. Environmental Health, 2003
- 2007–Present Microbiologist, US EPA, Cincinnati, OH
- 2006–2007 Microbiologist, Washington Aqueduct, Washington, D.C.
- 2004–2006 Research Assistant, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
- 2003–2004 Teaching Assistant, Missouri State University, Springfield, MO
- 2002 Internship, Lake County Health Dept., Gurnee, IL
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- American Society for Microbiology
Select Awards and Honors:
- EPA Bronze Medal for Commendable Service, 2011
- Dean’s List, Missouri State University, 2003–2006
- Evan’s Scholarship, Missouri Southern State University, 2002
- Dean’s List, Missouri Southern State University, 2000–2003
- Steiert, J.G. and B.R. McMinn Detection of Escherichia coli in Biofilms Collected from Freshwater Streams. Presented at 110th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, San Diego, CA, May 23–27, 2010.
- Rhodes, E.R., D.W. Hamilton and B.R. McMinn (2010) Hollow-fiber ultrafiltration and celite concentration of viruses from water. Presented at 110th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology, San Diego, CA, May 23–27, 2010.
- B.R. McMinn and J. G. Steiert (2006) Colonization of biofilm in freshwater stream by fecal coliform and E. coli. Presented at Missouri Branch, American Society for Microbiology Annual Meeting, Kansas City, MO, April 7–8, 2006.
Brian R. McMinn
Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
Office of Research and Development
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
27 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45268