Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Staff
Eric R. Rhodes
Title: Research Microbiologist
EPA Division: Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
EPA Branch: Biohazard Assessment Research Branch
My research is focused on the development and evaluation of collection, concentration, preparation and detection methods for pathogenic microorganisms from environmental samples, including enteric viruses and enteric protozoans. These environmental samples can include different types of waters, soils and biosolids. My goal is to develop methods and to conduct studies to collect occurrence data on viruses, parasites and bacteria from the environment.
- Ph.D. in Microbiology, 2006, Miami University
- B.S. in Microbiology, 2001, Ohio University
- Research Microbiologist, U.S. EPA, NERL. February 2007-Present
- Postdoctoral Associate, U.S. EPA, NRMRL. August 2006-February 2007
- Graduate Assistant, Miami University. August 2001-August 2006
Professional Societies and Affiliations:
- Member, Peer review board, Journal of Visualized Experiments, 2012-Present
- Member, U.S. EPA Pathogen Equivalency Committee, 2009-Present
- Member, American Society for Microbiology, 1998-Present
- Member, American Water Works Association. 2006-Present
Select Awards and Honors:
- U.S. EPA bronze medal for commendable service, August 2011
- Superior Accomplishment Recognition Award, U.S. EPA, May 2011
- Numerous on the spot awards, U.S. EPA, 2007-2011
- Superior Accomplishment Recognition Award, U.S. EPA, August 2007
- Donald C. Cox Award for Research Excellence, Ohio Branch ASM Meeting, April 2006
- Rhodes, E.R. 2012. Primary Concentration of Multiple Pathogens and Secondary Concentration of Viruses from Environmental and Drinking Waters. Oral presentation at Knowledge Foundation's 5th International Conference on Sample Prep. San Diego, California.
- Rhodes, E.R. 2011. Enteric Virus Analysis of Biosolids. Oral presentation at 11th Annual States/EPA Biosolids Coordinators Workshop. Cincinnati, OH.
- Hamilton, D.W., Rhodes, E.R. 2011. Hollow-Fiber Ultrafiltration and Celite Concentration: Methods for the Detection of Viruses in Drinking Water. Knowledge Foundation’s 4th International Conference on Sample Prep. San Diego, California.
- Hamilton, D.W., Rhodes, E.R. 2011. Virus Concentration from Tap Water by Hollow-Fiber Ultrafiltration and Celite Concentration. Ohio Branch American Society for Microbiology Meeting. Athens, Ohio.
- Rhodes, E.R., Hamilton, D.W., McMinn, B.R. 2010. Hollow Fiber Ultrafiltration and Celite Concentration of Viruses from Water. 110th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology. San Diego, California.
- Karim, M.R., Rhodes, E.R., Brinkman, N., Wymer, L, and Fout G.S. 2008. A New Electropositive Filter for Concentrating Enterovirus and Norovirus from Large Volumes of Water. 108th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology. Boston, Massachusetts.
- Boczek, L.A., Rhodes, E.R., Meckes, M.C. 2007. Chlorine Disinfection of Blended Wastewater Effluents. 80th Annual Water Environment Federation Technical Exhibition and Conference. San Diego, California.
- Rhodes, E.R., Meckes, M.C. 2007. Chlorine Disinfection of Blended Wastewater Effluents. 107th General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology. Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
Eric R. Rhodes
Microbiological and Chemical Exposure Assessment Research Division
National Exposure Research Laboratory
Office of Research and Development
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
27 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Cincinnati, OH 45268