On-Board Diagnostics (OBD)
This page features links to a variety of general resources on OBD, organized into the following categories:
EPA Fact Sheets
- Fact Sheet: More States Are Using OBD for Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance Programs (PDF) (1 pp, 39K, EPA420-F-02-013, August 2002, reviewed September 2012)
- Fact Sheet: OBD: Benefits for State Inspection and Maintenance Programs (PDF) (1 pp, 49K, EPA420-F-02-015, August 2002, reviewed September 2012)
- Fact Sheet: OBD: Frequently Asked Questions (PDF) (2 pp, 41K, EPA420-F-02-014, revised September 2012)
- Fact Sheet: OBD Outreach and Communications Resources (PDF) (4 pp, 70K, EPA420-F-02-012, August 2002, reviewed September 2012)
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- On-Board Diagnostics: A New Generation of Motor Vehicles
Developed by New Hampshire, this fact sheet describes OBD, including how it works, its benefits, new testing requirements, and how to service OBD-related problems.
- Fact Sheet: On-Board Diagnostics (PDF) (101K)
This fact sheet, developed by the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality, includes general background on the state's OBD testing program, as well as the link between OBD and cleaner air.
- Facts About On-Board Diagnostic II Systems
This fact sheet, developed by the California Air Resources Board, includes general information about OBD in a simple question-and-answer format.
- Understanding On-Board Diagnostics
This fact sheet, developed by the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency's Air Team, describes the OBD system, how it works, its relation to vehicle emissions, and the basics of the OBD check.
- Understanding On-Board Diagnostics Testing
The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency's Air Team developed this 2-page brochure on the basics of OBD testing.
- New Hampshire's Enhanced Vehicle Safety Inspection Program: On-Board Diagnostics (PDF) (858K)
Produced by the New Hampshire Department of Safety and New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services, this 2-page brochure introduces OBD.
- Air Pollution Control in Vermont: On-Board Diagnostics (PDF) (75K)
The Vermont Agency of Natural Resources developed this 2-page brochure that provides general information on OBD.