Inspections under Federal Insecticide, Fungicide and Rodenticide Act
- Good Laboratory Practices
- FIFRA Grants
- Worker Protection Safety
- Pesticide Producing Establishments
- Pesticide Imports and Exports
Inspections are the core of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) compliance monitoring program. FIFRA inspections are conducted by federal, state, and tribal inspectors. Inspections are conducted under sections 5, 7, 8, 9, 13, 24, and 26 of the Act and 40 CFR parts 150-189.
- conduct inspections and investigations to detect violations and collect evidence necessary to successfully prosecute FIFRA violators
- collect physical samples and documentary evidence
- remove potential violative pesticides from the channels of trade
EPA negotiates a cooperative agreement with the states and tribes for the enforcement of pesticide registration and labeling requirements. Congress granted states primary enforcement responsibility for pesticide use violations under FIFRA section 26(a), provided that its program meet certain standards. All but two states, Colorado and Wyoming, have primary use enforcement responsibility (i.e., primacy). EPA has an oversight role to ensure the adequacy of the overall state or tribal program. In addition, a state or tribe may, at any time, request EPA to act upon a violation utilizing remedies available under FIFRA.
- Pesticide Regulatory Education Program
- Introduction to FIFRA Inspections Training (Web-based) (Note: This link takes you to the Course Listings. The FIFRA course is lited on the On-Demand e-Learning training tab.)
- FIFRA Inspection Manual (PDF) (241 pp, 3.4MB, About PDF) - How to conduct inspections under FIFRA.
- WPS Inspection Manual (PDF) (110 pp, 938K, About PDF)- Guidance for conducting inspections under the Worker Protection Standard.
- The Sale of Pesticides over the Internet - Information for both consumers and pesticide manufactures on the sale and distribution of pesticides over the Internet.
- Biosecurity Guidance (PDF) (31 pp, 843K, About PDF) - Guidance on routine procedures for inspectors visting farms with livestock.