Selected EPA-registered Disinfectants
HighlightsNational Pesticide Information Center (NPIC) :
- 6:30am - 4:30pm PT (M-F)
The following lists of antimicrobial products registered by the EPA for healthcare use are effective against the most common emerging pathogens, as indicated in the list titles. EPA-registered antimicrobial products may not make efficacy claims against these pathogens unless the agency has reviewed data to support the claim and approved the claim on the label. Use of the listed EPA-registered products consistent with the product labeling complies with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration‘s requirements for Occupational Exposure to blood borne Pathogens (29 CFR 1910).
The lists are organized alphabetically by product names and by numerical order of their EPA Registration Numbers.
Information about listed products is current as indicated by the dates on the lists. If you would like to review the product label information for any of these products, please visit our product label system. Inclusion on this list does not constitute an endorsement by EPA.
- List A: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products as Sterilizers (PDF) (5 pp, 127k, About PDF)
- List B: EPA Registered Tuberculocide Products Effective Against Mycobacterium tuberculosis (PDF) (12 pp, 218k, About PDF)
- List C: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Human HIV-1 Virus (PDF) (66 pp, 483k, About PDF)
- List D: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Human HIV-1 and Hepatitis B Virus (PDF) (30 pp, 128k, About PDF)
- List E: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Mycobacterium tuberculosis Human HIV-1 and Hepatitis B Virus (PDF) (8 pp, 53k, About PDF)
- List F: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Hepatitis C Virus (PDF) (22 pp, 94k, About PDF)
- List G: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Norovirus (PDF) (3 pp, 51k, About PDF)
- List H: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and Vancomycin Resistant Enterococcus faecalis or faecium (VRE) (PDF) (40 pp, 566k, About PDF)
- List J: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products for Medical Waste Treatment (PDF) (5 pp, 70k, About PDF)
- List K: EPA’s Registered Antimicrobial Products Effective Against Clostridium difficile Spores (PDF) (1 pp, 56k, About PDF)
Only Primary Products are Listed
Only primary product names from the primary registrants are included in the lists. All EPA- registered pesticides must have an EPA registration number, and the EPA Reg. No. of a product is more useful than its brand name for identifying the EPA-registered product. Alternative brand names have the same EPA Reg. No. as the primary product name. The EPA Reg. No. of a product for primary registrants consists of two set of numbers separated by a hyphen, for example EPA Reg. No. 12345-12. The first set of numbers refers to the registrant’s company identification number, and the second set of numbers represents the product number.
In addition to primary products, distributors may also sell products with identical formulations and identical efficacy as the primary products. However, distributor products are not included in the lists above. Distributor products frequently use different brand names, but you can identify them in the lists by their three-part EPA Reg. No. The first two parts of the EPA Reg. No. matches the primary registrant, plus a third set of numbers that represents the Distributor/Relabeler ID number. For example EPA Reg. No. 12345-12-2567 is a distributor product with an identical formulation and efficacy to the primary product with the EPA Reg. No. 12345-12.
The EPA updates these registered disinfectant lists periodically to reflect label changes, cancellations and transfers of product registrations. Information in the lists does not constitute a label replacement. Inclusion of products in these lists does not constitute an endorsement of one product over another. Before applying any EPA-registered disinfectant product, users must read the label to determine if the product is approved for the intended use site or pest.
Questions? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-308-6427.