Chemical Review Manager: Joel Wolf (email@example.com), 703-347-0228
- Documents related to EPA's review of this pesticide can be found in the following docket(s):
- Risk assessment and related documents for this pesticide have been removed to Special Docket EPA-HQ-OPP-2007-0151.
- Visit Regulations.gov for information about other pesticide reregistration chemicals.
Azinphos-methyl in Registration Review
Because of mitigation measures already in effect on product labeling, EPA believes that the transition away from AZM can be managed in a way that minimizes risks to farm workers and the environment. Since AZM is being phased out, no additional action is anticipated at this time in registration review.
- AZM Registration Review Status document (PDF) (4 pp, 134k, About PDF)
- AZM Registration Review Status
- Summary of Azinphos-methyl phase out final decision - (Updated September 2012) Azinphos-Methyl (AZM) is an organophosphate (OP) pesticide that poses potential risks of concern to farm workers, pesticide applicators, and aquatic ecosystems, while also providing important pest control benefits to growers of apples and other crops. In 2006, EPA issued its final decision on Azinphos-methyl to phase out the remaining uses by September 30, 2012.
- Final Decisions for the Remaining Uses of Azinphos-methyl (PDF) - November 16, 2006 (31 pp, 400k, About PDF)
Settlement Agreement - January 31, 2006
- Fact Sheet - Settlement Agreement Regarding Azinphos-methyl and Phosmet -EPA has reached a settlement with the United Farm Workers and the other public interest plaintiffs who brought a lawsuit against the Agency in January 2004 in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington regarding the pesticides azinphos methyl (AZM) and phosmet. The settlement agreement effectively stays the legal challenge pending EPA's reconsideration of the "time limited" uses of these pesticides, scheduled for reevaluation later in 2006.
- Agreement - see docket EPA-HQ-OPP-2005-0061
- Reregistration Eligibility Decision (RED)(PDF) (150 pp, 2.6 MB, About PDF) - July 2006
- Interim Reregistration Eligibility Decision (IRED)(PDF) - October 31, 2001 (146 pp, 651k, About PDF)
- Fact Sheet - October 31, 2001. EPA announced new restrictions on the use of azinphos-methyl to increase protection of agricultural workers and assure that vital agricultural needs are met. This fact sheet and press release summarize these Interim Reregistration Eligibility Decisions.
Food Safety Agreement - August 2, 1999
- The EPA Administrator announced on August 2, 1999, acceptance of voluntary measures to reduce both dietary and worker risks from azinphos methyl.
- A fact sheet summarizes the risk management decision.
Federal Register Notices
- Azinphos-methyl, Disulfoton, Esfenvalerate, Ethylene oxide, Fenvalerate, et al.; Tolerance Actions [September 11, 2009].
- Notice of Receipt of Request for Label Amendments [July 22, 2009], comment Period: closes September, 21 2009.
- Azinphos-methyl, Disulfoton, Esfenvalerate, Ethylene oxide, Fenvalerate, et al.; Proposed Tolerance Actions , [December 31, 2008], comments accepted through March 2, 2009.
- Azinphos-methyl: Product Cancellation Order and Amendments to Terminate Uses; Correction [March 26, 2008], effective March 26, 2008
- Azinphos-methyl; Product Cancellation Order and Amendments to Terminate Uses [February 20, 2008], effective February 20, 2008
- Azinphos-methyl; Notice of Receipt of Requests to Terminate Uses and Voluntarily Cancel Pesticide Registrations [August 8, 2007], comment period closed on September 7, 2007
- Azinphos-methyl and Phosmet Proposed Decisions; Notice of Availability [June 9, 2006], comment period closed on August 8, 2006
- Azinphos-methyl; Order to Amend Registrations to Terminate Certain Uses [March 29, 2006]
- Azinphos-methyl Ecological Risk Assessment, Grower Impact Assessments; Notice of Availability [December 7, 2005], comment period closed on February 6, 2006
- Azinphos-methyl; Notice of Receipt of Requests to Voluntarily Amend to Terminate Uses of Certain Pesticide Registrations [August 17, 2005], comment period closed on September 16, 2005
- Azinphos-methyl; Order to Amend Registrations to Terminate Certain Uses [August 17, 2005], cancellations effective August 17, 2005
- Azinphos-methyl; Notice of Receipt of Requests to Voluntarily Cancel or to Amend to Terminate Uses of Certain Pesticide Registrations [February 28, 2005], comment period closed on March 30, 2005
- Availability of Interim Risk Management Document comment period closed on January 28, 2002
- FR Notice Vol. 66, Number 178 comment period closed on September 13, 2001
- FR Notice Vol. 64, Number 96 comment period closed on July 19, 1999
- FR Notice Vol. 64, Number 10 comment period closed on March 16, 1999
- FR Notice Vol. 63, Number 155 comment period closed on October 13, 1998