What Certifications does EPA accept?
- The Small Business Administration (SBA) (both SBA 8(a) program certifications and SBA Small Disadvantaged Business (SDB) program self-certifications);
- The Department of Transportation's (DOT) state implemented DBE Certification Program (with U.S. citizenship);
- Tribal, State and local governments, as long as their standards for certification meet or exceed our own; and
- Independent private organization certifications as long as their standards for certification meet or exceed our own.
|If a firm holds a certification from one or more of the entities listed above, it is considered acceptable for establishing MBE or WBE status under EPA's DBE Program and no other action needs to be taken.|
What are the Certification Requirements?
- An entity must first attempt to be certified by SBA or DOT, or a Tribal, State, or local government, or by an independent private organization, (proof required).
- An entity must establish that it is at least 51% owned and/or controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals who are of good character and are citizens of the United States.
- An individual claiming economic disadvantaged status must have an initial and continued personal net worth of less than $750,000.
EPA DBE Certification Applications
Please choose the form that best describes your business type.
- Alaska Native Corporation Certification Form (PDF) (5 pp, 300K, About PDF)
- Corporations Certification Form (PDF) (9 pp, 291K, About PDF)
- Native Hawaiian Organization Certification Form (PDF) (7 pp, 339K, About PDF)
- Tribal Certification Form (PDF) (6 pp, 309K, About PDF)
- Partnerships Certification Form (PDF) (8 pp, 210K, About PDF)
- Community Development Corporations Certification Form (PDF) (6 pp, 210K, About PDF)
- Limited Liability Company Certification Form (PDF) (9 pp, 253K, About PDF)
- Sole Proprietorship Certification Form (PDF) (7 pp, 324K, About PDF)
- Private and Voluntary Organizations Certification Form (PDF) (7 pp, 335K, About PDF)
Send completed application to:
U.S. EPA Office of Small Business Programs
1200 Pennsylvania Ave NW MC-1230T
Washington, DC 20460
- OSBP will advise each applicant within fifteen (15) days after receipt of an application, whenever practicable, whether the application is complete and suitable for evaluation and, if not, what additional information or action is required.
- OSBP will make its certification decision within 30 days of receipt of a complete and suitable application, whenever practicable.
- An entity that has been denied MBE or WBE certification may reapply for certification at any time 12 months or more after the date of the most recent determination by OSBP to decline the application.