Transportation and Air Quality
- What is the federally mandated warranty for emission controls on my car?
- Why is there ethanol in gasoline?
- Does the fuel used in fuel economy testing contain ethanol?
What's New in OTAQ
OTAQ Recent Additions
- August 31: SmartWay webinar: • 2015 SmartWay Shipper Tool Demonstration Webinar will take place on October 14th at 2:00pm Eastern Time. .
- August 18: SmartWay webinar: 2015 SmartWay New Partner Orientation Webinar #3 will take place on Wednesday, September 9th at 2:00pm Eastern Time. .
- August 5: SmartWay logos are now available for designated tractors and trailers.
OTAQ Press Releases
- August 17, 2015: MEDIA ADVISORY: EPA, NHTSA Hold Public Hearing on Proposed Phase 2 Greenhouse Gas Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Trucks
- June 23, 2015: Thursday, June 25: EPA to Hold Public Hearing in Kansas City, Kan., on Proposed Rule for Renewable Fuel Standards
- June 19, 2015: EPA, DOT Propose Greenhouse Gas and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Heavy-Duty Trucks
OTAQ Federal Register Notices
- August 05, 2015: Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles--Phase 2; Notice of Public Hearings and Comment Period; Correction
- August 03, 2015: Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles--Phase 2; Notice of public hearing
- July 31, 2015: Information Collection Request Submitted to OMB for Review and Approval; Comment Request; Aircraft Engines--Supplemental Information Related to Exhaust Emissions
EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality protects public health and the environment by regulating air pollution from motor vehicles, engines, and the fuels used to operate them, and by encouraging travel choices that minimize emissions. These "mobile sources" include cars and light trucks, heavy trucks and buses, nonroad engines, equipment, and vehicles. For more information see:
- About the Office of Transportation and Air Quality (OTAQ)
- About the National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory (NVFEL)
OTAQ's top sites
OTAQ's programs and website topics (A detailed list of programs and topics is on our site map.)
Overview:Pollutants & Programs
Information on how much air pollution, air toxics, and greenhouse gases are emitted by mobile sources, the programs OTAQ has undertaken to control these emissions, and the impact of those programs on air quality and climate change.
On-Road Vehicles & Engines
Information about fuel economy, emission standards and regulations, emission recall, certification and compliance, inspection and maintenance, diesel retrofit, evaluating the benefits of inventions designed to reduce emissions, and importing vehicles and engines.
Nonroad Engines, Equipment
Information about nonroad engines, equipment and vehicles: emission standards and regulations, certification and compliance, and diesel retrofit programs.
- Diesel Boats & Ships
- Gasoline Boats & Personal Watercraft
- Nonroad Diesel Equipment
- Forklifts, Generators & Compressors
- Lawn & Garden
- Snowmobiles, Dirt Bikes, & ATVs
Fuels & Fuel Additives
State & Local Transportation
Modeling, Testing, & Research
Information on modeling and inventories for estimating emissions from highway vehicles, nonroad sources, and fuels; testing and measuring emissions; research into clean automotive technologies; and emission factors research.