Modeling and Inventories
MOVES (Motor Vehicle Emission Simulator)
EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality (OTAQ) has developed the MOtor Vehicle Emission Simulator (MOVES). This emission modeling system estimates emissions for mobile sources covering a broad range of pollutants and allows multiple scale analysis.
MOVES2014. MOVES2014 is the latest version of MOVES and includes the benefits of the Tier 3 rule as well the impacts of other EPA rulemakings promulgated since the last MOVES release, new emissions data, and new features that users have requested. MOVES2014 also includes the NONROAD2008 model, allowing for modeling of both on-road and nonroad mobile sources within the MOVES platform.
EPA has released an updated version of the original release of MOVES2014 that fixes some user reported issues. All MOVES2014 users should replace the July release of MOVES2014 with this one. Changes included in this MOVES2014 October Release are documented here. We have also updated a tool for modeling LEV standards available on the Tools page.
Please find the latest guidance on Using MOVES for State Implementation Plans (SIP) and Transportation Conformity here:
For further information:
- MOVES Technical Reports. These technical reports document the data and analysis used to develop MOVES.
- MOVES Training Sessions.
- Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA) MOVES Model Review Work Group. This work group is focused on providing EPA with stakeholder input on MOVES.
- NONROAD2008 Model Documentation. These technical reports document the data and analysis used to develop NONROAD2008, which has been incorporated into MOVES2014.
- MOVES staff email: email@example.com.
- Updates and news on EPA mobile source emission models: Listserv Information
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
General Information about MOVES2014
- MOVES2014 Questions and Answers (PDF) (5 pp, 175K, EPA-420-F-14-049, July 2014) This document highlights the differences between MOVES2014 and earlier versions of MOVES and explains EPA policy on using MOVES2014 in State Implementation Plans and Transportation Conformity Analyses.
- MOVES2014 Overview for Experienced MOVES Users (PDF) (6 pp, 121K, EPA-420-B-14-059, July 2014) Provides a brief overview of the major functional changes in MOVES2014.
- Announcement of MOVES2014 October Release (PDF) (8 pp, 116K, EPA-420-B-14-094 October 2014)
- MOVES2014 User Guide (PDF) (247 pp, 14.4MB, EPA-420-B-14-055, July 2014)
- MOVES2014 User Interface Reference Manual (PDF) (51 pp, 436K, EPA-420-B-14-057, July 2014)
- MOVES2014 Module Reference
- Tools for MOVES. Tools designed to help users develop inputs for MOVES2014 and post-process the output.
- Download MOVES2014 October Release Installer (ZIP) (333MB, December 2014) This is an updated version of the original release of MOVES2014 that fixes some user reported issues. All MOVES2014 users should replace the July release of MOVES2014 with this one. An announcement with details of this release is here. The Zip file includes everything needed to install MOVES2014: Installation guide, executable file for the MOVES software, and default database. This installation includes the December 2014 updated nonroad post-processing scripts. After downloading and unzipping the ZIP file, open and read the MOVES2014 Installation Guide PDF for detailed instructions on installing MOVES2014.
- Download new nonroad post-processing scripts (ZIP) (8.38K, December 2014). This zip file contains new nonroad post-processing scripts that fix an error that may cause incorrect results in the processing of nonroad output. Instructions for replacing the scripts are available in the ZIP file. MOVES users who have used the MOVES installer dated December 2014-or-later already have these scripts and do not need to download this file.
- Federal Register Notice of Availability: Official Release of MOVES2014 Motor Vehicle Emissions Model for Emissions Inventories in SIPs and Transportation Conformity (PDF) (5 pp, 230K, published October 7, 2014)
This notice approves the use of MOVES2014 in official SIP submissions and starts a two-year grace period before MOVES20104 is required to be used in new regional emissions analyses for transportation conformity determinations outside of California. For transportation conformity questions, contact: Astrid Larsen at 734-214-4812 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For SIP questions, contact Rudy Kapichak at 734-214-4574 or email@example.com.
Policy Guidance on the Use of MOVES2014 and Subsequent Minor Revisions for State Implementation Plan Development, Transportation Conformity, and Other Purposes (PDF) (18 pp, 230K, EPA-420-B-14-008, July 2014)
This document describes how and when to use the MOVES2014 for SIP development, transportation conformity, general conformity, and other purposes.
- An updated version of the technical guidance for MOVES will be available soon. In the meantime, users can continue to follow the technical guidance for MOVES2010, available at: MOVES2010b Software and Documentation web page.
- For further information on transportation conformity and SIPs, see the following website: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/stateresources/