Modeling and Inventories
Previous MOVES Versions and Documentation
- MOVES2010a Software and Documentation
- MOVES2010 Software and Documentation
- Draft MOVES2009 Documentation
- MOVES Demo Software & Documentation
- MOVES2004 Software & Documentation
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
MOVES2010a Software and Documentation
- MOVES2010a User Guide (PDF) (150 pp, 4.84MB, EPA-420-B-10-036, August 2010)
- MOVES2010a Q & A (PDF) (5 pp, 524k, EPA-420-F-10-050, August 2010)
- Input file converters and other modeling tools Includes spreadsheet tools that help with the transition from MOBILE6.2 to MOVES.
- Software Development Reference Manual for Draft MOVES2009 (PDF) (279 pp, 1.3MB, EPA-420-B-09-007, March 2009) (SDRM for MOVES2010 will be posted soon.)
- Download MOVES2010aInstallationSuite (ZIP) (531MB, revised September 23, 2010) Includes everything needed to install MOVES2010a: installation instructions (readme.txt), executable file for the MOVES software, default database, and the User Guide.
MOVES2010 Software and Documentation
- MOVES2010 Mobile Source Emissions Model: Questions and Answers (PDF) (9 pp, 128K, EPA-420-F-09-073, December 2009) Describes the model and provides general information for model use.
- Download MOVES2010InstallationSuite (ZIP) (revised) (559MB, March 2010) Includes everything needed to install MOVES2010: installation instructions (readme.txt), executable file for the MOVES software, default database, and the User Guide.
- Instructions for downloading and extracting MOVES2010InstallationSuite.zip
- On your Desktop make a folder and name it MOVES_Install.
- Download MOVES2010InstallationSuite.zip.
- Move MOVES2010InstallationSuite.zip to the MOVES_Install folder on your desktop.
- Right click on the MOVES2010InstallationSuite.zip and extract the contents to the same folder.
- You should have in your MOVES_Install folder the following files/folders:
- MOVES2010InstallationSuite.zip (from which all the others were extracted)
- Setup.exe (the MOVES Installation Suite)
- Double click on the Setup.exe and follow the instruction in the MOVES Installation Suite. It will install all the necessary components.
NOTE: The operating system may automatically offer the option to temporarily override User Account Control (UAC) during MOVES installation. This option should be selected. If the user continues to have UAC problems after choosing a temporary override, or if the temporary override option is not automatically provided on a particular system, it may be necessary to turn off UAC manually.
These are also included in the MOVES2010InstallationSuite, as readme.txt.
The MOVES Installation Suite (Suite) will install MOVES2010 on your computer. MOVES2010 is a 32-bit application that may be run with the following operating systems: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, 2003 server and 2008 server.
Changes in this Revised Suite
This Suite includes a fix of 'Path not found' error found on machines running 32 bit Windows 7 operating systems. An enhancement was added to search for the MOVES java application and update its installation status. In addition, this Suite can fine-tune MySQL for better MOVES performance if the user clicks on the "Tune MySQL" button in the Setup MySQL 5.1.32 tab. No changes were made to the MOVES code or default database.
Note that if you have successfully installed the MOVES2010 system using the previous version of MOVES2010 Installation Suite (released in Dec. 2009), MOVES2010 should continue to run well without the use of this revised installation suite. However, we recommend you use this revised suite if you reinstall or modify the MOVES2010 system.
Software required by MOVES2010
Operating system: Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, 2003 server or 2008 server
Java 1.6.0_12 SDK (provided in Suite)
MySQL 5.1.32 or higher, (MySQL 5.1.32 is provided in Suite)
MySQL Query Browser (recommended and provided in Suite)
MySQL Connection ODBC 3.51 (optional and provided in Suite)
- Verify that you have administrative rights on your computer.
- You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view PDF help files.
- Double-Click on "setup.exe" of the MOVES Installation Suite, located on the installation CD/DVD or downloaded from the EPA's MOVES web site.
- Alternatively MOVES2010 can be manually installed. Please refer to the file "Troubleshooting.txt" in the MOVES Installation Suite folder for manual installation instructions.
There are three methods to invoke MOVES.
- Double-click on the desktop icon "MOVES Master".
- Select the program item "MOVES Master" from start -> All Programs -> MOVES.
- Open a DOS prompt command line screen.
Change directory to select the directory where MOVES2010 is installed.
type setenv.bat, hit return.
type ant rungui, hit return.
- Instructions for downloading and extracting MOVES2010InstallationSuite.zip
- MOVES2010 Errata Sheet/Information Sheet (PDF) (6 pp, 124K, EPA-420-B-10-026, May 2010)
- An updated default database MOVESDB20100515 (ZIP) (196MB) is available. The new database corrects several minor data errors in the earlier MOVES2010 default database. These errors are explained in the Errata Sheet above. Instructions for installing the updated data base follow.
- On your Desktop make a folder and name it MOVESDB20100515.
- Download MOVESDB20100515.zip.
- Move MOVESDB20100515.zip to the MOVESDB20100515 folder on your desktop.
- Right click on the MOVESDB20100515.zip and extract the contents to the same folder.
- You should now have a MOVESDB20100515 folder containing a readme folder and the collection of 435 files that make up the MOVESDB20100515 data base.
- Copy the MOVESDB20100515 folder to your MySQL Data folder. The MySQL Data folder is likely located at
c:\MySQL\data, unless you chose a different location when you originally installed MOVES.
- Find the MOVES MOVESConfiguration.txt file. For most installations this should be located in the folder c:\Program Files\MOVES20091221. For Windows 7 and Windows VISTA users, this folder may be in the c:\Users\Public folder, in the Program Files (x86) or in the Program Files folder.
- Open the MOVESConfiguration.txt file with text editor such as Notepad. On the second line, change in the line from defaultDatabaseName = MOVESDB20091221 to defaultDatabaseName = MOVESDB20100515. Save the file.
- To confirm that the database has been installed correctly, launch MOVES. In the top menu bar of the GUI window, click on Settings, then Configure MOVES. You should see MOVESDB20100515 in the Default Database window.
- When you run MOVES, the default database is reported in the output database. The movesrun table includes the field “defaultDatabaseUsed” that identifies the default input database used for each run.
- An updated MOVES Output Processing Script, DecodeMOVESOutput (SQL), is available. This script corrects a decoder error and is explained in the Errata Sheet above. Instructions for installing the new script follow.
- Right-click on DecodeMOVESOutput (SQL) to save it.
- Save it to your desktop as DecodeMOVESOutput.sql.
- Find the MOVES folder. For most installations this should be located in the folder c:\Program Files\MOVES20091221. For Windows 7 and Windows VISTA users, this folder may be in the c:\Users\Public folder, in the Program Files (x86) or in the Program Files folder.
- Replace your MOVES20091221\database\OutputProcessingScripts\DecodeMOVESOutput.sql with the file you downloaded onto your desktop.
- MOVES2010 User Guide (PDF) (150 pp, 4.75MB, EPA-420-B-09-041)
- MOVES2010 User Guide Example Files (ZIP) (1.9M) These files correspond to the examples described in the appendices of the MOVES2010 User Guide.
Draft MOVES2009 Documentation
- Draft MOVES2009 for Comment: Questions and Answers (PDF) (8 pp, 220K, EPA-420-F-09-019, April 2009) Describes the model, provides guidelines for model use, and provides instructions for commenters.
- Download DraftMOVES2009InstallationSuite (ZIP) (322MB) Includes everything needed to install Draft MOVES2009: installation instructions (readme.txt), executable file for the MOVES software, default database, User Guide and the Software Development Reference Manual.
- Installation instructions Also included in the Draft MOVES2009 download, as readme.txt.
- DraftMOVES2009 Errata Sheet (PDF) (6 pp, 121K, EPA-420-B-09-029, July 2009)
- Draft MOVES2009 User Guide (PDF) (118 pp, 2.9MB, EPA-420-B-09-008)
- Draft MOVES2009 User Guide Example Files (ZIP) (353 K)
- Software Development Reference Manual for Draft MOVES2009 (PDF) (279 pp, 1.3MB, EPA-420-B-09-007, March 2009)
MOVES Demo Software & Documentation
MOVES Highway Vehicle Implementation, Demonstration Version (MOVES Demo) is an update to MOVES2004 and includes the major software features planned for the future MOVES model. MOVES Demo provides an excellent opportunity for modelers to start learning to use the advanced features of the MOVES model and to provide feedback to us as we continue our work on the MOVES model.
Please note that all of the criteria pollutant emission rates in MOVES Demo are placeholder values and do not represent actual emission rates. Users may not use MOVES for any submissions for State Implementation Plans (SIPs) or conformity determinations until EPA approves an “official” version of MOVES.
- MOVES Demonstration Introduction describes MOVES Demo, provides guidelines for MOVES Demo use, and provides contact information for commenters.
- MOVES Demonstration Program Suite Distribution (ZIP, 220M, April 2007) This compressed file includes everything needed to install MOVES Demo, including installation instructions, program software, the MOVES Demo default database, MOVES Demo user guide and the MOVES Demo software design and reference manual. Important! Instructions for downloading and extracting the MOVES Demo Program Suite Distribution ZIP file.
- MOVES-HVI Demonstration Version User Guide, Draft (PDF) (113 pp, 1.5MB, 420-P-07-002, February 2007) provides detailed instructions on how to use MOVES Demo.
- Motor Vehicle Emission Simulator - Highway Vehicle Implementation (MOVES-HVI) Demonstration Version, Software Design and Reference Manual, Draft (PDF) (231 pp, 1.5MB, 420-P-07-001, February 2007) describes the database structure and software design for MOVES Demo including detailed calculation algorithms.
Draft MOVES2004 Software & Documentation
- Synopsis & Request for Comments (TXT)
- MOVES2004 Installation Package (ZIP) (220MB) (Note: This is a very large file and will take a long time to download.)
- Installation Patch # 2 (ZIP) (12.9M): Download and execute this supplemental installation for required corrections to the version of MOVES2004 currently posted on the MOVES website, (includes all previous patches)
- A Roadmap to MOVES2004 (PDF) (10 pp, 290K, EPA420-S-05-002, March 2005) provides a general overview of MOVES2004 and its documentation.
- User Guide (PDF) (92 pp, 1.7MB, EPA420-P-04-019, November 2004)
- Software Design Reference Manual (PDF) (142 pp, 1.1MB EPA420-P-04-017, November 2004)
- Advanced Technology Vehicle Modeling in PERE (PDF) (50 pp, 477K, EPA420-D-04-002, February 2004) Describes the PERE model for conventional as well as advanced technology light duty vehicles. PERE will be used to generate some emissions rates for MOVES.