Modeling and Inventories
MOVES Training Sessions
MOVES2014 incorporates many new improvements compared to MOVES2010b but the basic structure of the on-road portion of the two models is essentially the same. Experienced users of the MOVES2010 series of models should be able to quickly make the transition to MOVES2014. EPA is offering webinar-based training for experienced MOVES users that focuses on the changes in MOVES2014. In addition, EPA is updating the 2-day hands-on training course for MOVES2014 for new users. If you would like to receive notification when webinars and courses are scheduled, sign up to the MOVES Listserv here:
You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view the Adobe PDF files on this page. See EPA's PDF page for more information about getting and using the free Acrobat Reader.
MOVES2014 for Experienced Users: Rather than an introduction to MOVES, this webinar focuses on what has changed from MOVES2010 to MOVES2014. This webinar will include demonstrations of the conversion of MOVES2010b input files to MOVES2014 format, changes to the MOVES GUI, and new input options in MOVES2014 for fuels, retrofits, and start and hotelling activity. Reference slides for this Reference slides for this presentation are here: MOVES2014 Webinar for Experienced Users (PDF) (35 pp, 2.36MB, September 2014) .
- September 17, 2014, 1-3 pm EDT
- September 25, 2014, 1-3 pm EDT
Please note that these webinars assume a basic knowledge of previous versions of MOVES.
Webinars on 9/17 and 9/25 will cover the same information. Please register for only one of these two sessions at the link found below each date. We will schedule additional sessions as needed.
The following webinars are based on MOVES2010 but contain information that is still useful for MOVES2014.
- MOVES Batch Mode: Setting up and running groups of related MOVES run specifications – Presented November 3, 2010
This webinar training provided instruction on setting up and running groups of related MOVES runs, including discussion of situations where “batch mode” can be useful and tips for grouping runs. Instructors demonstrated use of the MOVES "Multiple Run Spec Creator," the "Generate Importer XML File" tool, and the MOVES command line interface. The presentation used for this webinar is here: MOVES Batch Mode (PDF) (33 pp, 220K, February 2011)
Here are an example MOVES RunSpec file and an example XML file used for the demonstration:
MOVES RunSpec file: lake_2010_training.mrs
XML file created for a batch run: lake_2011_training.xml
- Introduction to MOVES2010 – Presented October 7, 2010
This webinar provided a general overview of MOVES for both MOVES users and non-modelers. The presentation used for that webinar is here: Introduction to MOVES2010 (PDF) (63 pp, 504K, October 2010)
Hands-On Training Course
We are developing a new 2-day hands-on training course for MOVES2014 and will post information about it here when dates are scheduled. In the meantime, the existing MOVES2010b course is still a useful introduction to MOVES for new users.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) have developed a training course for MOVES2010b. This is a detailed, two-day, hands-on course intended for state and local agency staff who will use MOVES2010b for developing emissions inventories for SIP and conformity analyses. The course was designed to be self-taught in periods where no classes are scheduled, or travel budget constraints prevent attending an EPA or DOT sponsored course. Users can work through the modules and hands-on exercises at their convenience.
November 2013 course update: The course was updated in November 2013 to correct several minor errors. Additionally, the Emission Rates module was improved based on user feedback.
Participants in a scheduled course will need to bring a laptop computer with the following items:
- The most recent version of MOVES2010 (currently MOVES2010b) already installed and tested. Instructors will not be able to troubleshoot any installation problems during the course, so it is very important that any installation issues be resolved before course participants arrive at the course. MOVES2010b, including instructions for downloading and installation, can be found at www.epa.gov/otaq/models/moves/index.htm.
- All presentations and files needed for the course exercises, which are contained in this ZIP file: MOVES2010b Training Materials (ZIP) (15.7MB). The course materials should be copied to your computer and unzipped before arriving at the course. We recommend putting the unzipped folder on your desktop so that it is easily accessible during the course. Do not change the folder structure of the training materials. During the course, we will be switching back and forth between the presentations, the MOVES interface, and the other files included. The presentations include slides that describe what to do during the hands-on exercises. We strongly recommend that course participants bring paper copies of the presentations included in the training folder.
Questions about installing MOVES or about course materials should be addressed to email@example.com.
Upcoming MOVES Training Courses
We will post information about upcoming MOVES training course for new users here when dates are scheduled.
Project Level Training for Quantitative PM Hotspot Analysis
EPA and DOT have developed a multi-day training course in accordance with EPA’s “Transportation Conformity Guidance for Quantitative Hot-spot Analyses in PM2.5 and PM10 Nonattainment and Maintenance Areas”. This technical, hands-on course is geared toward state and local agency staff and focuses on using emission models (including EPA's MOVES model) and air quality models (AERMOD and CAL3QHCR) for quantitative PM hot-spot analyses. More detailed information on this course including training dates and locations, as well as other webinars and presentations on this guidance, has been posted on EPA’s Transportation Conformity Training and Presentations web page: www.epa.gov/otaq/stateresources/transconf/training.htm