Freight Shipper Frequently Asked Questions
EPA maintains answers to frequent questions about many topics in searchable databases; in addition, many individual offices and programs maintain Frequent Questions Web pages.
Click on the questions below to see detailed answers.
Joining SmartWay as a Shipper
- What Does it Mean to Become a SmartWay Shipper?
As a SmartWay Shipper, your commitment begins by using the Freight Logistics Environmental and Energy Tracking (FLEET) Performance Model for Shippers to quantify your current environmental performance level. Shippers then commit to ship at least 50 percent of your goods using SmartWay Transport Carriers. SmartWay makes it easy to identify and select carriers who are committed to fuel efficiency, and provide you with the tools to track your progress towards your goals. You can further improve your environmental performance by adopting our recommended shipper strategies, including:
- No-idling policies at distribution centers and loading facilities;
- Evaluating and modifying business practices at distribution centers and warehouses;
- Optimizing loading, routings, scheduling to reduce truckload miles;
- Optimizing packaging and loading to reduce weight; and,
- Optimizing modal selection to ship your goods.
Partners commit to improve their environmental scores over a period of three years.
- Who is Eligible to Become a SmartWay Shipper?
Any company that ships or receives items delivered by truck or rail transport is eligible to participate in SmartWay as a Shipper partner.
- What's in it for me?
Plenty! As you work to improve your freight shipping operations, SmartWay quantification tools will help you estimate your improved operating efficiency and emissions savings. You can demonstrate the environmental impact through reduced energy use and emissions savings. To help you get there, SmartWay Transport:
- Provides technical assistance to help you quantify emissions; and,
- Assists you in developing and achieving your goals, overcoming challenges, and creating incentives
And, when you make progress on your goals, SmartWay Transport will:
- Promote your company through national and regional events, articles, and awards; and,
- Qualify you to use the SmartWay Transport partner logo to further showcase your company as an environmental leader.