SmartWay Transport Partnership
Next Shipper Tool is Due
November 29, 2013
Calendar of SmartWay Due Dates
For a full calendar of all SmartWay Partner important dates, such as due dates and events, click here.
Joining SmartWay is as Easy as 1, 2, 3:
There are three steps to joining SmartWay as a Freight Shipper Partner:
- Assess Your Operations by gathering basic information about your company's fleets and operations;
- Calculate Your Baseline by entering your data into the Freight Shipper Tool and submit for approval; and
- View Carrier Performance Rankings and Track Your Progress by updating your Tool submission each year.
Before downloading the Freight Shipper Tool, take time to review the getting started guide, which includes a copy of the partnership agreement*.
"You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more."
- Shipper Tool: Quick Start Guide (PDF) (28 pp, 631K, EPA-420-B-13-050, September 2013) Please review before downloading and using the tool.
The first step to becoming a SmartWay partner is collecting your data. The worksheets provided here will help you get prepared for your tool submission and make data entry easier.
SHIPPER TOOL WORKSHEETS
- Shipper Tool Worksheets, All (PDF) (15 pp, 620K)
- Shipper-Worksheet1-Company-Contact (PDF) (1 p, 189K)
- Shipper-Worksheet2-Company-Characterization (PDF) (1 p, 182K)
- Shipper-Worksheet3A-Select-Carriers(PDF) (2 pp, 192K)
- Shipper-Worksheet3B-Activity-Data (PDF) (5 pp, 206K)
- Shipper-Worksheet3C-Allocation-Data (PDF) (1p, 169K)
- Shipper-Worksheet4A-Strategies-Data (PDF) (1 p, 169K)
- Shipper-Worksheet4B-Modal-Shift-Data (PDF) (1 p, 166K)
The next step in becoming a SmartWay partner is to enter your data in the Freight Shipper Tool. User Guide 3 will help you with data entry and troubleshooting the tool.
Download your FLEET Tool, complete all fields, and submit for evaluation and approval.
DOWNLOAD INSTRUCTIONS: To download the tool, you need to SAVE the file to a folder.
To save, right click the link above or the button to the left and select "Save Target As" in Microsoft Explorer or "Save Link As" in Mozilla Firefox. Opening the file in the browser instead of saving will render some features unavailable.
- Shipper Tool: Data Entry and Troubleshooting Guide (PDF) (86 pp, 3.3M, EPA-420-B-13-051)
- Guide to Importing Carrier Data Using the Outside Data Import Function (PDF)* (20 pp, 1.2M, EPA-420-B-13-052, September 2013) (Optional-for users that have large amounts of carrier data)
- SUBMITTING YOUR TOOL: Please follow the instructions in the tool for saving your file, then submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org for evaluation.
Download an example of the shipper tool (XLS) (6M)
*Note: EPA cannot provide technical support for preparing files for importing. Please work with your internal IT department to make sure data files are set up properly for import.
To maintain your status as a SmartWay Freight Shipper Partner in good standing, you will need to update your data and resubmit a Freight Shipper Tool each year.
Performance Ranking Information
NOTE: You need to SAVE the file to a folder. To save, right click the link above and select "Save Target As" in Microsoft Explorer or "Save Link As" in Mozilla Firefox. Opening the file in the browser instead of saving will render some features unavailable.
The file is refreshed every Monday. (For reference purposes only)
Freight Shipper Tool Technical Documentation (PDF) (35 pp, 789K, EPA-420-B-13-049, September 2013)
ANNUAL UPDATES: As a Freight Shipper Partner, you agree to update your tool data and submit a new tool annually.
- Upcoming Events and Webinars
- Logo Guidelines
- General SmartWay Publications
- Marketing Resources
- Shipper Employee Education Toolkit
Welcome to the SmartWay Shipper Resource Kit, your one-stop shop for resources to help you promote the mission and goals of SmartWay to your employees.
You can use these resources on your intranet site, your public website, your social media sites, in your employee newsletter, on posters and bulletin boards--wherever your employees get information about your company and your commitment to a cleaner environment.
Frequently Asked Questions for Employees of SmartWay Shipper Partners (PDF) (2 pp, 78K, EPA-420-B-10-033a, April 2010)
To help employees understand the SmartWay program.
SmartWay Brand Definition (PDF) (1 pp, 27K)
This definition describes to employees why a company's participation in SmartWay is a source of pride and value in the marketplace.
Tips: What You Can Do to Support SmartWay (PDF) (2 pp, 148K, EPA-420-B-10-035, April 2010)
Educate your employees about your commitment to the SmartWay program and get them involved in spreading the word. Copy includes useful tips for employees on sustainable transportation measures and environmentally friendly driving tips.
"Turning Over a New Leaf" multi-media e-mail
Describes and defines SmartWay certified vehicles and connects the viewer directly to EPA’s SmartWay certified vehicles web page. Employees can share this e-mail with family, friends and colleagues. The information in the video includes ways to compare fuel consumption and greenhouse gas scores, and will help the viewer conserve fuel.